View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
smu
PPCGeeks Regular

smu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsmu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsmu is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsmu is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |R|6.5.5|ROM|WWE| ★ Energy "Leo" 23529/21892 |Feb 16| ★ Sense 2.5.2012 / MaxMani

[QUOTE=TheShade001;1582178]I completely agree. It is a mystery how the FEB 16th roms are absolutely flaswless, fast and stable for some of us while others report constant freezing or lockups.QUOTE]

I do embedded hardware and software for a living and it's not too much of a mystery to me...but we have a saying: "If it was easy, then it wouldn't be embedded." Please let me qualify what I'm about to say by stating that I'm not casting aspersions against anyone or any particular products because I know that people on this forum work very hard to bring us the things that they do - and I appreciate them greatly. However, not everyone is imbued with the same ability to do embedded development as everyone else; some people have a compiler and very little development experience and are anxious to write code to solve problems, but having a compiler doesn't make you a good embedded devloper in much the same way that having a driver's license doesn't make you a good driver. I think that some cabs are rushed from idea to forum posting without much in the way of testing other than, "I've run it on my phone for 10 minutes and it hasn't hard reset yet!" Many of us have this cab to do this, that cab to do that, another cab to do this other thing, etc. and sometimes the cabs don't play nicely with one another. In general, we on this forum burn quite a few CPU cycles trying to figure out which cab we've installed makes our new ROM installation unstable, others blame the ROM and fiddle with settings on it to try to stabilize their system, etc. So to what do I attribute these mysteries of some people are rock solid and other have nothing but trouble out of a ROM? I think the issue lies squarely on the cabs that people are running.
The truth of the matter is that it's very difficult to do good app/cab development without access to MS developers and/or source code, but I think it's remarkable that some of you guys have the time (and NRG, if you'll pardon the pun) to code what you do. The problem with the testing of cab development is that the 6.5 ROMs are still a bit of a moving target for the cab developers to hit, so it makes development difficult and coordinated testing a nightmare.
This post has been thanked 3 times.