View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
michaelk
N00b

michaelk is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
they used to do it routinely over the phone or online. So it sure is technically possible.

It's just that some time last year they changed their software so it looks at a database of ESN's that they have sold. And if it's not on the list then the software wont allow it.

THe other thread sounds like higher levels of support can add esn's to the list.

Also perhaps they changed the software back in the stores and on tier1 to allow any esn to be entered now that they changed their "rules" and most anything is supposed to be allowed.

Another possibility is that there's differnt software and backend systems in different places. A couple years back i was SHOCKED when i was traveling on buiness in florida and had a problem with my phone from NJ the store i went to in florida was unable to take care of me. The guy explained that different regions had differnt systems (I assume depending on which network originally was in that area- BANYNEX or GTE or something else) and he couldnt take care of me the same way my local stores could. He said the plan was that they would all merge systems eventually - i assumed the new system of locked ESN's was a result of that software "upgrade" to their backend systems.

So maybe some regions still have software that permits any esn to get turned on?