View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM
clueless25
Switching to Android

clueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |R|6.5.5|ROM|WWE| ★ Energy "Leo" 23529/21892 |Feb 16| ★ Sense 2.5.2012 / MaxMani

Nice post nicely explained. HOW I WISH we could use our SD cards... Peeps said no.. I did try looking on net & it thought i was typing jibberish lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguenter322 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless25 View Post
Oh.. a word of note: our phones dont have memory sticks.. what you have left off your cards not taken by installed programs IS YOUR RAM.
No it isn't.

Our devices have 3 main areas of "memory"

There is non-volatile ROM, which includes what WM reports as "Storage" memory aka "\" (220 of 512 MB of this chip accessible for this purpose, the rest stores the ROM image I guess). This is where you store your files and install your applications to when you're not putting them on the SD. Data here survives power off/reset (minus hard reset which wipes this 220 MB "Storage" memory partition).

Then there is volatile RAM (180 of 288 MB accessible [~100 MB reserved for display rendering?]), which is what the OS and applications use to store their state and data in ("Program" memory). This is what gets used up as you run more and more applications. When you soft reset or turn off your device all data stored here is lost, it's the equivalent of a stick of RAM in your computer.

Then last but not least there is "external" storage, via the SD slot. If you're suggesting that Windows Mobile will map valid RAM addresses to unused space on your SD card for use as program running memory you've completely lost it.

If Someone has helped you, don't forget to thank them.