View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
robotphood
Regular 'Geeker

robotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?

I was never much of an apple fan. They have the aesthetics and intuitiveness down but coming from PCs and Winmo with a love to tinker there wasn't any long term appeal. This christmas I received an ipod touch and now I can't put this thing down. The first thing I did of course was jailbreak and scour the web for random apps. Since I've had it, I've been constantly finding new impressive apps and things to do with it. I've found winmo replacements for just about everything and I usuallyend up preferring them. There are times I do wish it had certain features and functions in the system or apps but usually it's nothing I couldn't live without. And the games are in a class of their own. Nothing comes close right now.

One major downside however is Apple themselves. Updates break jailbreaks. Without a jailbreak half my apps (the ones I use the most) and functionality would disappear. A stock idevice is just too limited for me personally. The 3rd party community exists and is strong, however it doesn't come close to XDA/ppcgeeks in terms of dedication and cohesiveness. Would I get an iphone? I might consider the next gen one. But a lot of what makes the iphone appealing seems to be threatened with android surging and wm7 in the horizon, especially with the hardware making a huge leap. I guess if anything, we have apple to at least partially thank for that. They really forced everyone to up their game.