View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
schteve
N00b

schteve is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to schteve Send a message via MSN to schteve
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - ALPHA (buggy. as. hell.)

Hi,

Thanks to makkonen and others for their hard work on this. Just wanted to document my experience with the 2/4 build, which is very positive. I'm running on a Sprint Touch Pro, on the Verizon network.

When I booted up, there initially was no 3G, so I set up WiFi so google setup could succeed. Wifi was quite stable. I set an exchange email account, tried google maps, looked at the marketplace. Seemed to be running a bit hot, so I added the Android/internet APN and rebooted. It came up with the WiFi still on, so I turned it off and maybe a minute later 3G came on!

3G seems snappy - browsing felt faster than WinMo. (Which isn't saying much - heh).

Sent myself a text message, which worked. Dialed into my verizon voicemail and was able to check for messages. I haven't actually used the mic yet - it's still not working right?

Touch screen is still jittery. When I was navigating Marketplace, I had to very gently swipe the screen, otherwise it would think I was selecting the entry where I started the swipe. Google maps seemed to work well, except that when I dragged the screen to the left, it wanted to zoom in. Up, down, or right worked as expected. Weird.

Plugged it in and left it on the charger overnight. (BTW, the charger indicator seems to always be on, even when it's not plugged in). Next morning, it woke me up with a chime for a new email (SWEET!). When I tried to look at it, it spazzed out for a couple of minutes. I was able to unlock it, but then the screen froze, and none of the buttons (not even the volume) seemed to respond. I jammed on all the buttons for a minute or two without response. I was about to soft-reset, when I noticed that the LEDs behind the Home and Back buttons were responding when I pressed there. So I proceeded to jam on the buttons some more, and finally did a long hangup, three down, button, button, to try and get it to start a shutdown. It flashed a bit, displayed the "Phone options menu" against a black background, and then woke up!! Seems to be working fine now and I never rebooted.

Temperature - it's running quite cool now. I turn it on every 10 or 15 minutes just to see if all is well.

I hope this feedback is useful. I am really impressed with the work you've all done. You guys are studs.

I'm going to run this until it falls over.

Last edited by schteve; 02-06-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added temperature comments