View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
frazell
Regular 'Geeker

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Trip to Mexico (Sprint). $0.002/KB. Too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0011j View Post
somehow I think he meant .02 and not .002
No, he meant $0.002. I'm not sure why people assume Sprint is so expensive. When it comes to data roaming costs I find Sprint to be the cheapest option there is (as long as you stay CDMA). It is often cheaper ROAMING than it would be domestically in the country you're in (like Canada where I frequent).

You can check the Mexican data roaming costs directly at Sprint.com...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartels View Post
It looks like I'll spend $.002/KB data while I'm in Mexico on the Sprint network, but the good news is the CMDA will work fine - no need to switch to GSM. My question is this - how much data do these phones use? I don't want to go broke down there for a week!

I will not use the phone to call anybody and will not do any downloading of videos, pictures, etc... I'll keep the phone off most of the time and will download emails about twice a day. I usually get about 60 emails per day and will obviously change my settings to only have the messages downloaded - not attachments.

Anybody smarter than me (that's all of you) willing to estimate how much data I would use?

Thanks!
Your best option is to either add the international data roaming addon (which caps your daily spend roaming) and you can use your phone just as freely as you do now (as recommended above). This can be added by calling Sprint International Services @ 1-888-226-7212, option 2 before leaving the US.

The alternative option is to use WiFi only...

If you are planning to download 10 emails a day on average I'd just opt for the unlimited roaming addon. It will cost around $2.50 a day and allow you to not have to cringe on how much bandwidth is being "wasted" in header and other backend communication between your phone and the server.

You can ensure your phone doesn't cause you any surprise roaming charges by disabling data roaming period on it (if you choose the WIFi only option). This can be done in Phone->Menu->Options->CDMA Services->Roaming-> Hit "Never Ask" under Data Roam Guard and ensure "Allow Roaming" is UNCHECKED. That will prevent any app on the phone from creating a data connection.

Also, text messages are charged as DATA while roaming. Which is a VERY VERY good bonus. Making text messaging while roaming VERY cheap for you. As each text will cost you less than 1 cent compared to 35 cents + on AT&T or T-Mobile while roaming...

So there you have it...
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail