peterm20
PPCGeeks Regular

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: The good, the bad and the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
Sorry, I missed responding to this earlier. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think the market crashes are due to memory, because it seems that the market is less likely to cause a crash if it's downloading over Wifi than if it's using cdma data. This is only my experience with a sample size of 1, so it's really nothing more than a hunch. I can confirm those crashes, though, and they are very vexing.

I haven't noticed the problems with call quality degrading -- but I've never run for long enough to get more than 2 or 3 calls, so I wouldn't have, anyway.

Re: Apps sucking up memory, I'm sure you've noticed that the newest XDANDROID build has removed basically every extraneous app, which seems to help a bit.

The FSCK files that show up on the sd card are nothing to worry about. If you have a keen eye at boot time, you can see that there's a DOSFSCK that runs before anything is done with the sdcard. It invariable creates one of those files, even if there is no damage. Then the regular fsck runs on the mounted data.img (which does tend to throw errors, because it's never cleanly unmounted; but hey, that's what fsck is for).

As far as running from a partition on the sd card, I've read about it in the Vogue forum on XDA, and in glancing at the init script on the XDANDROID rootfs, it has some checks in place to mount from a partition (I assume since the eclair build was ported from Zenulator's Vogue version). I haven't heard of anyone bothering to do it on RAPH/DIAM/etc, and would guess that there's a few more pieces that have to be put in place for it to work correctly, though..
Ok I can actually second this one. I've noticed that too. And it is really annoying if It does it and I am some place where I can't turn on wifi real quick. because soon as I get back in it re-downloads the file and it restarts. I've poked around in the rootfs.img and system.sqfs and there really isn't any *nix style file system there. is most of the config stuff done kernel based?