View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 AM
pushdrops
N00b
Threadstarter

pushdrops is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb pls if you can view the BIC app or HQ vid on both the Droid & the Eris side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
I really don't see how the Droid's screen could even be considered an issue. Camera... Yes, but the screen itself, I have no complaints whatsoever. Like I said before, it kills the iPod Gen 2 screen and the iPhone screen hands down. I have the same movies on my Droid that are on my brand new 32gig Gen 2 iPod and there's no comparison. They look 10X better on the Droid.
I no longer have an iPhone 3Gs (was provided by work) to compare to but my I picked up an Eris for free for my wife when getting the Droid & after comparing lots of the same JPG's and videos (including HQ YouTube vids) the Eris has much richer colors than the Droid.

The Droid is sharper (text for sure) but the colors are washed out compared (directly - side by side) to the Eris. Now if I wouldn't have viewed the same videos at the same time (testing YouTube via WiFI a couple of days of getting the phones) I wouldn't have prob noticed the diff (because I would hardly ever use the Eris and the Droid does look good - until side by side to the Eris) but once I've noticed the diff , it's pretty apparent.

If you can please view a HQ YouTube video or the BIC Lighter App on a Droid and an Eris - that's the only def comparison I can speak to that I know will show the difference (not sure about the iPhone or apple products, it's been since Oct that I've had the iPhone and I never used it for video viewing).

I even went to the store to view another Droid against my wife's Eris to be sure that my Droid didn't have a "washed out display" (played the same YouTube vid on the store Droid and on the Eris - side by side just as with my Droid).

I'm not bashing the Droid's display, just wish / hope there's a way to adjust the contrast settings to provide much darker blacks (that's where you can really tell , load up the BIC Lighter - notice on the Droid that the background is more of a Dark Gray than a true black, it's supposed to be black (the b/g) , this makes the colors show up much better on the Eris.

I'm stuck with the Droid it seems because while I have time to return the Droid / cancel VZW as a new customer - but because T-Mob doesn't have a Family Plan , I can't see going with them. So even if the N1 has a nice colorful display like the Eris I'm gonna miss out I guess.

I was told that in 1 yr I can upgrade my phone at the discounted price (with a $30 fee) , instead of waiting 2 years (as with my prev provider) , so by next year there should be an improved N1 (I'd rather a phone with the Sense UI anyway as I really like the Eris) - in the mean time I'm looking for someone to find out how to access the Droid's contrast settings (sure if it can be adjusted the darks will be truer, bringing out the colors - ridding the washed out look, I'm guessing it's a setting deal , that the display is capable of truer colors).

A review pointed out the diff in the Eris and Droid's display (color / contrast issue), I can't link it because I'm a new member here (I saw the review after i noticed the difference in my wife's Eris and the Droid). When i have enough posts and can link here I'll provide that link. In the review the guy says the Droid's "initial contrast" settings aren't as good as the Eris - so that makes it seem maybe as if there's a way to tweak the Droid's contrast setting which is why I joined this forum. I just contacted that reviewer to see if he knows of a way to edit the contrast setting on the Droid.