View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 AM
nycxhobbes
N00b

nycxhobbes is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is something wrong with me?? Custom ROMS = Not impressed....

I can definitely agree with the OP in certain aspects. I've had ppc's since the 6700 but I always thought that flashing a custom rom just involved way too much work. I put up with stock ROMs through the mogul and my TP1. Honestly before I bought my TP2 I was seriously going to give up on Windows mobile and go to the hero or the moment. However the TP2 really made me fall in love with WM all over again. Especially the TF3D stock rom. it was fast, and it was rock solid stable. I wouldn't need any soft resets for weeks! It looked great thanks to all the great work from the people here and at xda. However, two to three months after I got my TP2 i decided that I wanted to try the 2.1 ROMS (i really wanted the weather animations) and at first I was not impressed at all with the custom roms. For all of the issues that the custom ROMS had it didn't seem worth it to give up the stability of the stock rom. I flashed 2-3 different roms and just went back to stock. however, one saturday when I had nothing to do I decided to give the custom roms another shot. so I flashed two more roms and that is when I discovered that not all roms are created equal. Certainly while all of the cooks here deserve credit for their work and the amount of time and effort they put into their roms, it is quite apparent (at least in my eyes) that some are better than others. There are some custom roms here that work just as well/if not better than the stock rom with the latest and greatest from WM 6.5 and manilla 2.5 and quite frankly I am impressed with some of the work that the cooks put out there. The customization possibilities also can keep you busy and happy for days on end as well. For me the custom roms are another way to keep my phone exciting and new and while some roms are not as good as others, there are many that offer the same functionality as the stock rom while offering more end user customization. As of right now I am on SsS 2.5 rom and I think it's awesome. Stable and fast with no major issues, however, next week it may be a different one (I have been flashing new roms every few days in the last three weeks) so to me the custom roms keep me interested in my phone; at least till the TP3 comes out =P