View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 AM
quick99si
Halfway to VIP Status

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: does having the my location on for my weather updates drain the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel11691 View Post
i installed the latest mightyrom 6.5 rom and i have this my location for weather which is great because it finds the city where im at all the time but im worried that it will drain my battery faster than using the internet to download the updates because it uses the gps
1. It doesn't use actual GPS but rather network tower triangulation. Download GoogleMaps 3.2.1 to see it in action (3.3.1 doesn't work as well) and battery use should be negligeable if any, and definitely not nearly as much current as polling the actual GPS chip. My Location is about 7-8 blocks from my actual loction, which leads me to believe it's not using true GPS despite the time it takes to get a fix.

2. You can disable it via in Settings or in the registry.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
"Weather.EnableCurrentLocation"=dword:00000000
I don't think it needs a soft reset, just click "Update" in the weather tab.

Last edited by quick99si; 12-27-2009 at 06:09 AM.