View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
veblen64
PPCGeeks Regular

veblen64 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have been trying the Touch for a few days. Received it as a replacement for the Mogul, having ordered it before the latest Mogul ROM. I have been comparing the two.

Well, I'm pretty sure the Touch is not for me. Some impressions:

- The Touch is too small and light. Feels like it could just blow away out of my hand if I don't hold it tight. No sense using a BT headset -- just clip the Touch to your ear! ... The smallness actually makes it harder to use one-handed for me, whereas my fingers curl around the Mogul just right. ... The Touch feels fragile and, um, feminine. The Mogul feels like if I hit a bad guy upside the head with it, it would do some damage.

- Touch's screen has too much glare. Can be very annoying.

- Touch's BT phone quality is worse (choppy, static, etc.) than the Mogul w/2.17 ROM (yep -- at least in my testing with my Logitech BT headset)

- I don't use the hard keyboard on the Mogul very often, but when I do, I really appreciate it.

- I haven't needed to use the Mogul's wifi yet, because EVDO has been available, but the time may come when I need it.

- The flash comes in handy on the Mogul, not just for pictures but as a flashlight. The Touch for some bizarre reason has no flash at all.

- The Touch's lack of hard buttons is a big-time drawback too.

- Having the extra RAM on the Touch is supposed to be its key benefit, but on the Touch I'm testing there is actually an annoying and frequent lag in executing commands, even though it has 70 megs of free RAM. (WTF?) The Mogul is actually more responsive overall than the Touch.

- When I run iGuidance on the Touch, it always slurs and stutters the first syllable or two of every voice prompt, whereas the Mogul plays them cleanly. This a significant problem.

- The Mogul feels right to me. The Touch doesn't.

- Pretty sure I'm going to send the Touch back and say thanks but no thanks.