Lurker

arielphf is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to arielphf
Re: VZW aGPS issues anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
Yep the old rom is pri 1.35 or something. Just unlock and go custom straight from the old rom. Installing mr1 will do the same again.

Having read about 10 of these threads on several sites, I'm still left with a few nagging questions. If someone more knowledgeable can just give me a few quick yes/nos/maybes to the questions below, I'd be surer of the course ahead. It may look like a long list, but I promise, they should all be answerable with very short replies.

My phone started out as a much older pre-MR1 version that I don't recall the version number of. I flashed both MR1 and MR2 and a newer radio before re-flashing to the custom ROM (6.5) it currently has and the latest radio (3.42.50). This was all done before I had tried to use the GPS and before I had any idea of what it would do to those functions.

Question #1 - Is there a chance the radio physically in my phone is not GPS compatible? Or is GPS function of the xv6800 determined entirely by the software (and Verizon's whim)?

Question #2 - What you are saying is that I will have to downgrade this phone, relock it and bring it back to an older ROM (PRI 1.35 or there abouts) so that I will be able to get the GPS working?

Question #3 - Once I have it downgraded, do I have to do anything to it to remove that Verizon lock? Other than running the Valhalla.cab, or the other steps well documented on this and other sites, that is?

Question #4 - Referencing the webpage - http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...VerizonAGPSFix - suggests I don't have to downgrade first and seems to suggest a different solution than using the Valhalla .cab. Which route is more effective (easier/quicker)?

Question #5 - Once the lock is removed, it sounds like can then load the latest radio and ROM back on and GPS will still function. Is this correct? (aGPS, or standalone, I don't much care - since I've never gotten anything to work with it except using an external bluetooth GPS receiver.)

Question #6 - My 'control' phone is as it came from Verizon, but it's ROM (v3.57.605.2) and radio (3.37.78 ) were already pretty current. Will I have to downgrade that one to remove the Verizon lock or can I just apply the stock fix outlined here - http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...VerizonAGPSFix ?

I'm doing my research, and am ETERNALLY grateful for all the great work you selfless folks have done and posted here, but if I can get just a little bit of guidance here, I think I'd have this thing licked.

Ariel

PS: Mods, this might belong in the 'Official Internal GPS..." thread. Sorry - I've been reading through so many threads, I probably didn't realize where I was!

Last edited by arielphf; 11-24-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typos, location?