View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Mr. X
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: [11-16-09] [ROM] MR.X WM6.5 V1.5 [Build 21854] [SDConfig]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
That's illegal in the USA. Comcast got in trouble for doing something similar. Apple tried to block certain apps form the iPhone and the FCC ordered them to explain themselves.

So if it's anyone in the USA, streaming media might be something the carrier doesn't like. But it's against the law for the carrier to block it at an ISP level. All they can do is ask you not to do it.
they are not blocking an app, they are blocking a protocol over there networks and thats perfectly legal dude. you can use the app all you want till ur blue in the face, they just filter protocols. Just like VZW is filtering all there droid customers Push email protocols and making you pay 10 bux a month if you wish to use push and have that unfiltered. Thats exactly how telus gets away with it. they want you to buy there packages that are designed around streaming media if you wish to use that protocol.

ISP's do this all the time as well, especially for voip on Business lines if they are not paying for a voip service. Also if you read the ToS of most isp's they state they have the right to filter and or throttle certain protocols for "network stability" reasons. A nother perfect example is Cable companies and how they throttle bit-torrent users. They have a pretty word for this too, its called "ISP Traffic Shaping"

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!

Last edited by Mr. X; 11-18-2009 at 12:25 PM.