View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM
haus
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backlight Dimming (and Bluetooth Radio) Fix

*** BACKLIGHT DIMMING (AND BLUETOOTH RADIO) FIX ***
==============================

Somehow, between plugging in and unplugging the phone (and possibly using the WM6.5 device lock in combination) the backlight timers in the registry get overwritten. Specifically the values of "BatteryTimeOut" and "ACTimeOut" get set to 5 seconds, and this seems to sometimes cause the screen to go dim after 5 seconds repeatedly, even while you're just using the device normally (i.e., you start to read an email and the screen dims to the lowest setting). Also the keyboard lights may revert to 5 seconds too, regardless of where you had them set before.

I wrote a mortscript to run in the background and monitor these settings. If they are changed, the script will change them back (otherwise it will do nothing and wait 5 seconds before checking again). My new settings (you can edit these) are 40 seconds for the keyboard and backlight dimming (backlight low but not off), then I leave "suspend device" at 1min on battery in the power control panel so that 20 seconds after the screen dims, your device suspends.

Also, the Bluetooth radio on my Intrepid seems to turn itself off a lot (at least every night while charging, and sometimes during the day). I'm not certain if this relates to the SmartWatch program I use, but if you've experienced BT turning itself off you can fix that issue here as well.

Attached are 3 new files (updated Feb 11, 2010):

1. Intrepid_Fixes.mscr (version 0.7 now, changes noted below)
2. Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr
3. Toggle_Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr

Intrepid_Fixes.mscr contains the following updates:

- Force 60-second suspend on battery (sometimes unchecks itself so your device stays on forever, this now prevents that from happening)

- 40 seconds to screen dimming, battery and AC

- Keyboard backlight to 40 seconds

- shortened sleep interval to 4 seconds instead of 5 (maybe helps occasional brightness changing issues)

Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr is a separate script designed to use vjvolubilis and keep your BT radio on. To install, put this script in your \windows\startup folder as well. This will cause 2 instances of Mortscript to run, but with 193MB of program memory available this doesn't bother me. Do not change the name of this mscr file when you copy it over (case sensitive too.)

Toggle_Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr should go in your \My Documents folder or somewhere else accessible (do NOT put it in \Windows\startup!!!!). Run this program to disable the BT keepalive script, since there is no easy way to turn it off otherwise. If you run the toggle mscr and the BT keepalive script is running, the toggle script will kill it and show a message that BT can now be turned off. If the BT keepalive script is not running, the toggle script will start it. You might need to do this when you get on a plane if the attendants hassle you about your BT radio being on, etc.

Steps to install:

1. Install Mortscript which you can get here:

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...=view&entry=65

(the download is a zip file; go into the zip, inside the "cab" folder, and choose the one called "MortScript-4.2-PPC.cab", then copy that to your device and run it from File Explorer to install. I recommend installing to your device).

2. Put the attached mortscript file, Intrepid_Fixes.mscr, into \Windows\startup. This script (interpreted by Mortscript.exe) will run in the background all the time, but only at 0-1% CPU and I've seen no significant decrease in battery life.

3. If you decide to run the Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr script, you will need vjvolubilis. Get it here:

http://www.vijay555.com/index.php?Releases:VJVolubilis

Install to the device. Then put the Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr file into \Windows\startup as well, and save the Toggle_Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr file somewhere else where you can run it easily on demand if you need to be able to turn BT off.

========================================

Edit: since it came up elsewhere:

Quote:
To change the time in the script, do I just change all the values that say 30?
Yes, you can just change the values, but read what each one does first. For example, if you wanted the keyboard backlight to turn off at 15 seconds, you would change this section

Code:
	# Force Keyboard backlight timeout to 30s
	# ===================================================
	curKeyBacklightTimeout = RegRead(HKCU,"\ControlPanel\Backlight","KeyBacklightTimeout")
	If (curKeyBacklightTimeout <> "30")
		RegWriteDWord(HKCU,"\ControlPanel\Backlight","KeyBacklightTimeout",30)
	EndIf
to this:

Code:
	# Force Keyboard backlight timeout to 15s
	# ===================================================
	curKeyBacklightTimeout = RegRead(HKCU,"\ControlPanel\Backlight","KeyBacklightTimeout")
	If (curKeyBacklightTimeout <> "15")
		RegWriteDWord(HKCU,"\ControlPanel\Backlight","KeyBacklightTimeout",15)
	EndIf
The result would be that the keyboard backlight would go off at 15s of inactivity. Your screen would go dim 15 seconds later (at a total of 30s), and your device would power down (suspend) at whatever time was set in the power control panel.
Attached Files
File Type: mscr Intrepid_Fixes.mscr (2.2 KB, 78 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: mscr Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr (685 Bytes, 40 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: mscr Toggle_Intrepid_Bluetooth.mscr (357 Bytes, 34 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by haus; 02-11-2010 at 10:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.