View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Malatesta
Moderator/WMExperts Staff

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoc View Post
So what is the empty antenna jack for, just above the camera lens when you have the back cover off? Any facts on that? Really curious about that...

Thanks!
A lot of devices have these, it looks to be for a CDMA extended/external antenna. My Centro has a rubber cover that removes to connect just that, which is what I believe those photos refer to. But I'm 99% sure it's not related to Wifi. A Wifi antenna, honestly, is just a thin, tiny piece of metal--you'd barely notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardoc64 View Post
What I find interesting is the reference to AGPS, which would indicate no onboard GPS. This would limit you to using Telenav or a similar AGPS program for GPS.
These terms overlap quite a bit. The HTC Kaiser and BJ II are technically aGPS (gpsOne) yet they are advertised as "GPS". The reason for that is aGPS *can* do standalone mode i.e. only satellite, no server/tower assistance. So aGPS can encompass regular GPS and go further with server-side assistance for faster signal acquisition and data analysis. I don't think Sprint is locking down the GPS to just Telenav, like AT&T did with the BJII. There is nothing though about aGPS particularly that prevents it from not using TomTom, Live Search, etc. That is carrier choice.

The Moto Q q9c already does GPS on Sprint and although I don't know the chipset, it's most likely the same Qualcomm one as the Mogul and Touch (which btw, both have internal GPS antennas as well). BTW, the Sprint Q q9c can do GPS and Google Maps, so it looks to have ports open/listed for use in other programs and is not "locked".

Re: the question of Wifi, if the hardware is there (on the chipset), it will most likely have been disabled at the firmware level, not the registry. This will be just like the "GPS" question on the 6700, 700wx, etc: it's technically there, but we don't know if the chip is plexed to an antenna + we don't have the API to access the information and integrate it with the OS.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this, but I'm willing to wait while others figure it out.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11-26-2007 at 11:08 PM.