View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:17 PM
willysp
A Geek For Eons

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC1 View Post
While this might have been possible in the "old days" (and yes, I'm old enough to remember, lol), today's modern handsets process the radio and audio signals almost entirely in the digital domain, ie, the "signal" is just a bunch of numbers that are being manipulated using DSP algorithms like Fast-Fourier-Transforms. Digital electronics aren't as susceptible to manufacturing tolerance problems as analog circuits are. Digital chips either work or they don't, they don't "drift" due to minor variations in temperature, voltage, and other factors.

It is possible to get a bad batch of digital chips, but in that case they would have failed factory go/no-go testing. Infant mortalities (the chip fails shorty after being utilized by the consumer) would manifest themselves as inoperable units.
Yes - I'm familiar with the 'old days', too! (I've designed & constructed circuits using both tubes and IC's; and written LISP/SNOBOL/ALGOL programs and embedded assembly language drivers) Good days ... :=)

Perhaps the explanation is as simple as the fact that I'm more 'picky' and observant than some others, and work in a building with poor cell reception - which causes frequent switches to roaming, which made 2.16 an absolute phone-killer for me. And perhaps people with good BT experience haven't listened to the other end of calls with the Titan.