View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Mutiny32
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32
Re: Theory: RHOD400 and RHOD500 model difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgourd View Post
I had the thought HSPL was different than the radios. It just depended on bypassing the firmware's security check during a flash (which is way harder than it sounds).

Otherwise, great explanation. It has deepened my knowledge of this. One question, Since LTE is a form of HSPA, then wouldn't the Verizon and Telus TP2 support the new 4G networks and the Sprint version not?
Let me clarify

LTE is an extension of HSPA. It's kinda like the Rev.A of EvDO. It incorporates new modulation techniques and signaling and more technical jargon that makes it "4G," Specifically the use of OFDM. That's the big difference. It's an evolution of the technology like DOCSIS 2 and 3.

It still uses a lot of the original underlying technologies as HSPA, but in a different way that were only recently developed; a revision and addendum to the standard. So that's why it's called "Long-Term Evolution" as it's still the same base standard, but the fourth generation of leaps forward technologically. It's also why you couldn't call current handsets 4G capable, because they aren't.

Interestingly enough, WiMax also uses a lot of the same modulation techniques and other technologies as LTE. It's not out of the question for WiMax to someday be interchageable with LTE; possibly under UMTS. There are already RFCs out there that outline handoff methods between the two technologies as well as interoperability proposals. Lots of wireless data standard convergence discussion going on right now.