View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 03:21 PM
jobryan26
Regular 'Geeker

jobryan26 is keeping up the good workjobryan26 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Photon' (23016) ** | Built Oct 13th | Manila 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixjn View Post
I don't think it is actually possible to fully disable the GPS on the phone (unless you actually damage the chip). Location setting should just block access to the port for any other applications (because remember E911 can still access it, so the GPS is not truly OFF)

Besides, the GPS only uses power when the COM port associated with it is in use. If you dont use it just goes to low power or sleep mode on which it consumes just enough to be able to respond when an application calls for it.

I true but does it ever go to sleep or low power mode? I am thinking it would always be running in the background so it is "locked" on your current location incase you launch any type of software you don't have to wait 15+ seconds to get a "lock". Since I have turned mine off it seems like mine isn't draining the battery nearly quite as fast as it did. Could be just imagination tho. lol

EDIT: Just to elaborate a little further. My phone was fully charged at my first post which was 3hrs ago. I have MiQ(similar to Dashwire)running in the background, Facebook Mobile, and text my wife for 15min. My battery has dropped 20% where I barely get one signal bar in my house. But as I said it could just be my imagination.

Last edited by jobryan26; 10-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.