Old 11-17-2007, 03:38 AM
leetsauce
PPCGeeks Regular

leetsauce is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
AIM Mobile forwarding doesn't help for initiating a conversation. It's a pretty good solution, but it's messy. Mine works only occasionally and randomly. I never know when it's going to forward and when it's not.
That's unfortunate, I've found my AIM forwarding to be quite reliable. Combined with Threaded SMS, it is the ultimate combo. It is essentially AIM without the battery drain. If I needed to initiate a conversation, I could sign on to Slick, send a message, and sign off to continue it though SMS. There is a slight negligible delay between messages when using SMS compared to being signed on using a web app, but it really doesn't bother me.

My favorite IM app right now is, obviously, Slick. IM+ works great, but I don't like the way it refreshes conversations: longer threads get laggy because it rewrites the whole convo everytime a new message is sent or received. Agile is good too, but it's not free, and doesn't seem to support away messages. OctroTalk doesn't seem to work for me, and Palringo is alright but I don't really like it. Mundu's interface is too slow.

Slick seems to be free for now, at least until they produce a final version. There are a few things they need to work on, such as making the font size the same for buddies with and without an away message, and fixing the "OK to send" option to enable the Enter key. I also wish it would integrate better into WM, for example, the bottom menu bars appear separate from the WM menu bar, quite a waste of screen; and perhaps a Today screen plugin. I definitely see a lot of potential in it, and would probably pay for the final product (if it's any better).