View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 AM
VizionForever
N00b

VizionForever is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
64bit Vista Fun: .INF driver file is not seen

"I realize this is a very late addition to this thread. I'm posting this here to capture the information for anyone trying to resolve a "driver not found" problem after having followed the preceding instructions.

The preceding instructions on this thread are great, but lack one critical piece of information for installing the modem driver under updated 64-bit versions of Windows. Note that early 64-bit versions of Windows did not impose the requirements discussed below. That may explain why some 64-bit users did not encounter the problem.

After following the preceding instructions on a 64-bit version of Windows, you may still encounter a problem that Windows is not recognizing the .INF file as a valid driver for your phone. The reason is because updated versions of 64-bit Windows require that the .INF file properly indicate that the driver is intended for 64-bit Windows. (Earlier Windows-64 versions did not.) Without this indication within the .INF file, Windows will read the .INF file but then decide that the driver isn't valid for that version of Windows. Windows won't say the driver isn't valid. It'll simply act like it never saw the .INF file.

The details about the solution to this problem are here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/drive...64INF_reqs.mspx

For AMD 64-bit systems, the following .INF file section:

[Manufacturer]
%HTC%=HTC

Must be changed to:

[Manufacturer]
%HTC%=HTC,NTamd64

Note the addition of ",NTamd64" as an indication that the driver is for AMD 64-bit systems. (The correct seperator character is a comma. It's not entirely clear in the Microsoft article whether it is a comma or period.)

The following also must be changed:

[HTC]

to:

[HTC.NTamd64]

The addition of ".NTamd64" makes the [HTC] section correspond with the first change. (In this case, the correct separation mark is a period.)

Since I have an AMD64 system, the above is all I have tested and made work. I believe the above referenced Microsoft article indicates that Intel 64 bit systems should use "NTia64" instead of "NTamd64".

I recommend that you first copy your original .INF file and name the copy with the addition of "64" to its name. Then edit the "64" copy."
Thanks to kburgoyne at howardforums for that
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8&page=2&pp=15

While that is fascinating and a good bit of sherlock holmes detective work, another user in that thread pointed out that can use vzacces manager that already has the driver files correct for Vista 64 bit, which makes it a download and click install....So go to the verizon site! You will need a phone # of someone with a verizon phone number to download, below are the files you will need for the MOGUL
WModem_Driver_Installer_v1.2.2.4_WWE
and
VZAccess_6.9.2_2135b-XV6950-XV6850-XV6900-XV6800-XV6700
then you need to set up a modem connection on your pc #777 yadayada after custom copying and pasting usb modem program to the folders on your htc 6800 etc... Enjoy!

Last edited by VizionForever; 10-11-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: reasearched
This post has been thanked 3 times.