View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM
ThreeFaces

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Genesis' (23016) ** | Built Sep 20th | Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
What can I use to kill the data connection after 1 minute? I had done that tweak to where I deleted the suspendresume thing and thats why my battery was doing so much better. I just undid it because I couldnt answer calls and now I can answer but my data is constantly on again and i've lost like 4% in the past couple minutes.
Some stuff to consider...

If you use Adv Config, you can kill the data, but your dialer issues will return. It sets that "#777" reg entry to "GPRS something".

Several of us have done some testing with the battery and came to the conclusion that killing the data after its done working does not have a major impact on battery. As a matter of fact, if you open tBattery in START-UTILITIES watch what the draw is at rest vs. an active data connection. Then compare the draw of opening/closing a data connection and simply leaving a data connection idle. You shuld notice a spike when you open the data connection that eventually settles a bit.

There is only a draw when data is "active", as in pulling data. When it sits idle, there is no additional draw from the battery - its as if the data was "killed". So the theory is that you're actually using more battery opening and closing the data connection than just leaving it on.

Couple that with the added benefit of not having dialer answer issues, and the #777 edit seems the best choice.

Test it for yourself. Unless the device is drawing down data, having it shut off after a minute isn't going to save you the kind of battery you're talking about.

...and when you say dropped 4% in a couple of minutes, what were the values? 100%-96%? Or mid range? We've also discussed the battery level dropping significantly fast from 100-about 90-95%.

Rock it.

QUICK EXAMPLE - at rest Im floating between 84 and 157 [data is off]. Initiating data throws me up into the 350-400 range. When the data connection is "on" but not active, the current drops back to 84-157. Terminitaing data at this point does nothing to the current reading. Sliding over to check weather with MyLocation, throws a spike up to 500, then it settles, then back to normal. These are casual observations, just for quick reference.

Last edited by ThreeFaces; 10-07-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: wrong location for tbattery