Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
jedwards
Lurker

jedwards is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TV Out Registry Hack

guys,

The cheapest, simplest way to have your cake and eat it too is to use an Exacto knife or similar to cut the trace to to pin 4 (audio detect on the internal PCB. I think this is the blue wire but am not sure so please verify) going to one of either the 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks on the inside of the HTC Multi-adapter. This preserves the audio adapter functionality for both the mini-usb and one of the barrel jacks while leaving the other barrel jack for video out. This mod is free (assuming that you have a 2.5mm or 3.5mm to AV cable) and still lets you use the adapter for hands-free and audio operation. Both the TP and TP2 recognize the adapter as an audio adapter until the video cable is plugged in and then happily switch to video.

Rocking the adapter body back and forth diagonally to release the glue joints and then gently prying the cover open gives access. If you want to get really fancy you can mod the cover and install a micro switch to let you change back and forth between audio and video with just a couple of soldered wires on either side of the cut trace but I just used the 2.5mm port for video and the 3.5mm for audio. I can't show pics because I only have one and I glued mine back together but a little patience and a simple voltmeter (to identify the trace) and a knife/nail/razor/sharp object to scratch the trace is all you need. If you want to undo the mod a small dab of solder will return it to normal operation.

Last edited by jedwards; 10-07-2009 at 01:19 PM.