View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
jimmyjohn
Lurker

jimmyjohn is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Your DREAM cab wishlist thread

The main function of my phone is for Web reading. It allows me to read during transit on the Subway from home to office, and back. Having Opera's tabbed browser (able to open 8 tabs before crashing Opera my TP2 -- anyone have ideas for increasing this capability?) is great, since this is the first time I can open up enough items to keep me occupied while I don't have a signal on the Subway.

The truly killer app for me, though, would be something I could use to keep my reading material in sync between phone & PC. Even just an RSS reader, where I could download the latest feeds before leaving my house, mark the items I want to read on my phone while in transit, and then be able to instantly sync that up with my PC upon arrival at the office. But it'd be even better if this were incorporated into a browser, and I could just fling URLs back and forth, grab passages and save them in a draft blog post on the TP2, then finish it at my PC, etc.

Since I'm a journalist & blogger, anything to let me continue the reading & writing process relatively unimpeded in transit would be a big plus.

Also: VLC on WinMo. VLC is the only media player anyone at my TV production company uses to play files, since it's pretty much guaranteed to play any files, any codecs, any time. And the MP4s we encode for YouTube uploading and for a colleague to view on his iPhone -- I can't get them to play on my TP2. And I can't guarantee they'll play on CorePlayer, so I'm not shelling out $30 just to guess. I just want one video player to rule them all, and VLC has definitely been that.

Also: my old Treo had a great contact lookup feature: you could punch in the first letter of their first name, then start spelling their last name, and almost all contacts would come up correctly after just a few key-presses. This is such a simple, useful feature I'm surprised it hasn't been incorporated as a default into every phone, everywhere.

And Pidgin on WinMo. Pidgin has made communicating with colleagues/sources/partners/friends/family immensely easier than it used to be. And syncing between PC and TP2 there, too (why not?).