View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 02:32 AM
bobturismo
Regular 'Geeker

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: To remove the plastic or not

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU KEEP THEM OR REPLACE THEM!

That being said, the reason I say this is because I was really rough on my mogul towards the end and I keep my phone in my front pocket. Sometimes when I'm wearing jeans, they put a great deal of force on the corners of the phone, eventually my talk and end buttons stopped working. I could see where the corner had bent down and hte plastic had slightly cracked.

I also disassembled my mogul at some point and got a good look at the ribbon cable and sliding mechanism. I've owned a lot of electronics of the years and one of the biggest failing things is the ribbon cable, even all the way back to my first tape Sony walkman that was waterproof and had controls or a display on the door (can't remember).

Now this is just my opinion, but after I removed the two (more permanent compared to the TP2) plastic pieces, I started having problems, keyboard and slider related.

Now with the TP2, because the screen tilts, I believe it has more of a chance of the top half rubbing on the bottom half, in fact you can start to slide the screen closed with it tilted up slightly.

Now the fact that the factory plastic bunches up, tells me that there is enough slop in the hinge to allow both halves to touch while closing.

When I ordered my mogul, not knowing that the sprint comes with a screen protector, I ordered the 10 pack of universals with the phone. So I had scraps that I used to make new pieces for the side of my keyboard, as my old one's bunched up.

Just from them being on there for the last couple of days, there are heavy marks where the top "dug" into the plastic.

With the plastic from the scrap screen protector, it seems to just barely ride on it, enough to keep it from being off angle when I open it. I usually use my left hand and my left thumb, it's hard not to apply a little bit of down pressure because of how thin the top part is.

Also when the phone is closed, if you barely squeeze the two halves (top and bottom) together, you can see that it has a tiny bit of play and will actually touch the pieces together. That has to be putting a slight strain on the hinges while in my pocket, nothing that is major, but over the course of a year, I may have "sloppy hinge syndrome".

I hope by having the screen protector material in there, it takes up some of the slack and allows the phone to be more rigid and not allow it to deteriorate like my mogul did.