View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 AM
bobturismo
Regular 'Geeker

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP2 Owners Please Read...

Here's what I've got...

I use SPB backup to backup my contacts and everything else on the phone, that way you can restore if everything goes wonky or backup to when it was working better.

I keep ONLY the CABs that I have installed on the phone in a folder on my memory card.

I keep all the cabs and exe.s that I downloaded in a folder on my PCs desktop. This includes one's that are NOT installed.

Becuase I have all the CABs that are installed on the phone on my memory card, I can put my phone back to the way it was from a HARD reset, meaning that I power off, hold the green and red buttons, power on and the phone will reformat back the way it came out of hte box. Then I simply install each CAB saved on my memory card, or if I have a favorite setup backed up, I simply restore the back up to my phone with SPB backup.

I also have a bunch of manual edits that I did to the registry, I don't bother to try and remember what I did because I know what they do. If you are unsure how registry edits affect your phone, then I would suggest writing them down or at least bookmark every page that you followed instructions on for editing you registry.

There's nothing wrong with downloading a bunch of CABS and going crazy, BUT you must be prepared for the consequences. I have a backup file of my phone, eaxactly the way I want it, with all the CABS and programs installed. Fom here on out, should I install something that doesn't work right and if I try to uninstall it and it stil doesn't work right, I can restore my phone to the way it was.

Now if you have a problem and you have all your CABS saved on your memory card, you can reformat your phone (hard reset) and install each CAB one by one and check each time to see if the problem comes back. Another benefit of that is your registry is clean and clear of all the programs and CABs that you may have installed and uninstalled before you did the hard reset. Unfotunately, on PPC and PC's, sometimes uninstalling programs and CABs can still leave traces behind that can cause problems.
This post has been thanked 1 times.