View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 AM
NunyaBiz
Lurker

NunyaBiz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Screen keeps on turning on

When I got the new replacement phone recently, I purposefully didn't install any programs on it for several days to see how it would behave and it had the same screen-waking issues from the very start so I know it's not because of anything I've installed. I think that both 1xRTT and EVDO coverage with Sprint are just both very weak in my area, especially in my house and the constant network switching between the 2 is what keeps waking the screen. I thought forcing the 1xRTT would solve it, but even that signal is weak with my Diamond at home (although I never had problems with my old A900) and the screen probably was still waking constantly whenever the signal was temporarily lost or interrupted.

I've found that when I'm in a really strong coverage area, the screen doesn't come on continually. In my mind, there's no conceivable advantage/purpose to having the screen wake when the phone switches between EVDO and 1xRTT and it's just a serious software flaw (likely with WM6.1 since I think the problem still persists for those who have it despite flashing to new ROMs). I was hoping that the new Sprint 1.11 radio would help, but it didn't. I've always been with Sprint and have lived in the same place for 10 years and I think my Diamond gets the worst reception of any phone I've had. I've considered flashing a Verizon radio as Verizon has stronger coverage here, but I've read that there's some fine print in mobile contracts that stipulates if an excessive amount of your calls are picked up on another carrier's network, you can be charged roaming fees even if you have an unlimited roaming plan so I don't want to go that route.

What I need to know is if there's a way to disable the screen from waking upon network switching. Perhaps a registry hack? It has to be software related. Something in WM6.1 is forcing the screen to wake on that event and I'm hoping there's a way to disable it.