View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
cjbreisch
PPCGeeks Regular

cjbreisch is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is fantastic. Great work guys. I just wish I had a phone to try it out on (waiting for a replacement from Asurion). I did build a custom ROM yesterday...of course, I can't do anything with it. But, it didn't seem too hard.

You guys are also doing a fantastic job on supporting this new kitchen. You're awesome.

I have a few low priority questions/thoughts, though.

A) I think someone mentioned having a Generic configuration, and they got the reply that there were four or five that were essentially that. It's probably best to go ahead and add a "Generic" unless you want to keep answering that question.

B) In VerizonGuy's kitchen, there was a fantastic HOWTO by BigJ. I realize that this new BuildOS is a lot better, and much of what BigJ wrote doesn't apply, but it would be great to have something like that in there. Because of his HOWTO, I didn't panic and get confused when I saw the "Encode" screen and knew what to do.

C) Speaking of which, since I've already selected my carrier, shouldn't that select the appropriate .prj file for me?

D) Is the process for adding new Custom Apps to the kitchen the same as in previous kitchens (as described by BigJ)? If we get an app added to the kitchen, would you like to be notified so that it can be added to the default kitchen?

D) I know quite a few people use the Picsel browser and saw that wasn't in the kitchen (unless I'm blind and I missed it). I know that some apps are a real PITA to add to the kitchen. I take it that is turning out to be one of them?

E) The only MMS I saw was Arcsoft's. Isn't there a "standard" one from MS? Or am I just confused? Probably the latter.

F) The popups over the apps with the details are great! A few could use a bit more detail, IMO...but that's a very very minor nit.

G) Perhaps future versions of the kitchen could come with some sample "selections" files? Like an "HTC" one that loads all the HTC stuff, or a "Clean & Simple", or "Gamers" or something. I know the default selections produce a very clean ROM, but most C&Sers out there do like just a little bit in their ROMs like Office, Windows Live, etc. Just an idea...might make it easier for n00bs like me to cook their own ROMs with less fear in their hearts.

I'll have more comments/questions once I finally flash the ROM I've cooked, but overall this is fantastic!