View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
krazy_about_technology
PPCGeeks Regular

krazy_about_technology is keeping up the good workkrazy_about_technology is keeping up the good workkrazy_about_technology is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to krazy_about_technology Send a message via Yahoo to krazy_about_technology
Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassStash View Post
interesting build, what's in the 21095 shell that's better/different? remind again, is the shell not the main part of a build? that doesn't make using 23016's sys n common useless obviously?? this hybriding i have not attempted yet and intrigues me. more info would be much appreciated. if it's explained somewhere else n you don't feel like going into, point me in the right direction, my time is limited lately with work.
Sorry for the typo, the build i took shell32.exe from is 21925, the MD1 branch. The features this shell32.exe provides are :
1) In Settings menu, if you choose an icon, in 230xx builds, phone returns to the today screen. In 219xx however, it remains in the settings menu, so that you can do many settings at once.
2) When you tap and hold an icon in start menu, instead of Move Up and Move Down menu, you can drag and drop icons. Although its still not possible to move icons into and out from a folder.

Shell definitely is the part of main build, but for some builds its possible to make this kind of hybrid since even if these are different branches, the OS code version these branches are using are not far away.

Although i wont recommend to do this thing again and again, i experimented on this build and its not giving me any problems at all plus the extra features in start menu. So i kept it. And it wasn't my idea actually, someone at XDA posted it working so i tried it. For this particular build, i am using it for last 20 days and my device is a 64 MB RAM one, so i keep a strict eye on memory usage, and believe me, i have seen no memory leaks or anything like that whatsoever.