View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 AM
fiyah
Regular 'Geeker

fiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
Flashing the stock rom still would only do the same thing as flashing the same custom rom twice. I understand wiping the FAT aka hard-reset/clear storage only deletes pointers to files and doesn't actually "wipe" anything, but neither does flashing the stock rom.

I guess NRG's answer that data is sometimes written into the radio portion of the rom so flashing the stock rom (which DOES flash the radio rom) can in fact "wipe" this errant data. So we can end this debate by concluding that you can either flash the stock rom (radio) OR you could just flash another radio.

That makes sense to me, thanks NRG
Well without knowing all the details, but from reading what others have written and experiences I have had flashing and getting rid of issues by flashing back to stock or hard-resetting twice its entirely possible that when you flash a rom, stock or custom, the references point to randomly different sections of memory. When you hard reset a rom, stock or custom, the device simply deletes those references and then creates a bunch of new references pointing to randomly different spots in memory. If that is case, its possible that simply flashing a rom may not always re-assign memory correctly. In addition its also likely that different roms, stock or custom, have slightly different write-to-memory lists. Who knows...

The point is there is more than enough documented proof of a double hard-reset or a flash to stock and back to custom resolving a problem. So there must be something to the memory allocation theory...
This post has been thanked 1 times.