View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 AM
rootlinux
The Rootinator

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
I do NOT mean to fan the flames here, I am legitimately curious about this "flash to stock" logic... The "stock" rom is just an nbh like any other rom, if you change the exe to a rar you'll see it's simply a self extracting exe with romupdateutility along with an nbh. The fact that it comes with a radio is nothing special, it's easy to add a radio .nb to any rom just like NRG included the initial boot splashscreen as an additional .nb within the .nbh. The fact that the stock rom is signed only means you can flash it without hard-spl, nothing more. If we could obtain the proper certificate you could sign a custom rom and you wouldn't need hard-spl.

Frankly anecdotal evidence isn't enough for me, I just don't see how the stock nbh has any super ability to wipe out "ghost" problems more than a hard-reset after flashing a custom rom would do, or if problems truly exist just reflashing. Again I apologize if I'm causing a stir or derailing this thread, I just want to know where this information comes from apart from "well it worked for me and some other guy".
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...69545&page=825
Explains it better than I can.

I have had problems with many issues after just flashing over a custom rom.
Issues many people say they do not have so I started thinking that something must be getting left behind that is causing the problem.
I recently flashed to a custom rom and then had errors with the clock and keypad.
Hard reset caused more of a mess so that alone tells me that a hard reset isn't alone going to fix all problems.

Ever install Windows over the top of Windows and have errors occur?
Same thing applies here.

We all know you can run undelete on windows and recover deleted files so that tells us that deleting doesn't really delete.
What does work usually is just over writing the problem files with a good working file.
That is why a stock rom helps.
It over writes all the broken files and gives us a fresh start.

So while some say it doesn't work, others say it does.
I have found out for myself it does.

Didn't mean to start a flame war here.
What I was trying to do was help the people that keep having issues that no one else seems to have.
I believe those issues can be usually fixed by flashing the stock rom to over write the problem areas.

If you never have any issues then obviously you would never have to do these extra steps.
Personally, I have had a few issues that caused me problems that made no real since and I got tired of searching through the registry and running this fix or that fix when a simple stock rom cured most of the problems.

What I was trying to do is cut down so many questions in this thread that can easily be fixed by a clean stock flash.
I have had nearly zero problems since I started doing this.

Only problems I have now are known issues with current builds that many others have.

Anyway, I am out of the debate.
Do what works for you.