View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
jdm627
VIP Member

jdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on repjdm627 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** | Built Aug 11 | w Manila 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by askwhy View Post
About to flash 8/11 -- but I wanted to chime in on Lumos being brought up so often anymore...

Just to clarify -- the power savings of Lumos is in its ability to, without your intervention, always make sure the backlight setting is optimal -- its job is not to directly reduce power consumption.

People who are installing Lumos and expecting an immediate and direct drop in battery usage are rather missing the point. The power savings from Lumos comes from using it to automatically reduce your backlight settings when appropriate, not from simply installing the application. All Lumos does is make sure that your backlight is never low when you need it to be high, but always low when you don't need it to be high. That's it.

So, if you install Lumos but then set a 'low-end' backlight cap of 60%, and leave the 'high-end' cap at 100%, you've just about wasted Lumos. It's not going to save you much power if it is never reducing your backlight significantly. Fluctuating between 60%-100% is hardly any power savings at all. You want to see power savings? Cut your low end cap to something tolerable, but conservative, like 40% or even 30% if you work indoors and your eyes are pretty good. Cut your high-end cap to 90% to take that extra unnecessary edge off, or even 80% if you are comfortable with that in outdoor lighting situations. Try that for a few days.

You don't need to take my word for it though, the laws of physics say it will work if you give it the opportunity -- it's quantifiable and repeatable -- so try it and if it doesn't work for you, beef with the Universe for bending the laws of physics in your neck of the woods, not people in this thread. Nobody in this thread has the power to bend the laws of physics, well, except maybe NRGZ28, but I think he uses that power exclusively for making uber ROMs.

NOTE: Lumos is just one program -- It's not a holy relic. If you are serious about extending your battery life, you should be doing many things to that effect, and don't expect miracles from any one change.
In the original AskWahy posted the letters are in black I changed the color resalting this tremendus point.

Bravooooooooo... AskWhy