View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
isdnmatt
Regular 'Geeker

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TELUS TP2 worldwide using GSM SIM card

All the carriers should provide the phone with GSM capabilites locked. You should be able to call their global services division and request a subsidy code. Type in the code and you can use a foreign GSM SIM. The problem is that the phone will most likely be locked out from US GSM carriers.

For the devices to make it through the FCC, both the CDMA and GSM radios had to be tested. HTC got around this, in a letter that was posted here in PPCgeeks, by saying that the GSM will be locked out for US provider's SIMs.

This is the one and only reason that I'm upgrading from my TP1. I travel to Europe frequently and was tired of having to switch devices, contacts, etc. With this phone, I'll be able to use all my applications, contacts, tethering, regardless of where I step off the plane. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

EDIT: Do not go to the website in the video and PAY for an unlock code. All the CDMA providers should provide you with a subsidy code for free. You are locked into a CDMA contract so they don't have to worry about using your phone on another network because you would have to pay early termination anyway. Tell them you prefer not to use their overpriced global services and would like to use your own foreign sim.

Last edited by isdnmatt; 08-05-2009 at 01:45 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.