View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 AM
jhightman
Lurker
Threadstarter

jhightman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyway of backing up though the bootloader?

It is true to run Sprite Backup, Window Mobile needs to run. In my case when the phone crashed, it ‘bricked’. I have done a hard reset, a soft reset, as well as charged, pulled and replaced the battery. At this point, it either starts to the initial TouchPro screen and hangs or I can get in to the flash mode (volume down + power button). The only option is to reload the OS at this point and then yes restore a backup. No prob! However in situations like this, I find it interesting to explore the possibilities. When I have had a hard drive crash so that it only shows up under Windows as RAW, I didn’t just repartition and reformat it. Now I have a great collection of data recovery tool (such as R-TT R-Studio) that can pull files off of disks that way or even on which have been repartitioned and reformatted NTFS. I have a hard disk’s PCB smoke and luckily had on had another drive with the same ROM version and so put that board, replaced the burnt up one and got the data back I needed. In the case of this phone, I know the data is still on there, just that I haven’t found a way to read it. I’m not going to pay hundreds of dollars to a data recovery service for a couple days of text messages, however I don’t believe in throwing in the towel without putting forth a little due diligence to at least try to recover my stuff. If nothing else one learns something!