JuMpMaN6235
PPCGeeks Regular

JuMpMaN6235 is keeping up the good workJuMpMaN6235 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Nice hack to increase signal strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by xconwayx View Post
Any reply on how your battery life is doing? As soon as I get to work I am doing this. I am in the same boat as you. It sucks.
So far i only had this throughout the night, so i cant comment on it too much, but so far seems normal. Even if the battery does get consumed at a faster rate, thats a small price to pay instead of missing an important phone call

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCGeeks4ME View Post
Uh oh...I just went back into QPST to try some more tweaks, and realized that after testing last night, when I went to set my values back to defaults, I actually wrote my default C0_BC0 and C1_BC0 values to the C0_BC1 and C1_BC1 keys. Now, I have no idea what my default values for those keys were.

I'm guessing there's no way to factory reset these values. Can someone with Sprint please post their default values for the C0_BC1 and C1_BC1 keys? I know they vary by phone, but at least then I can get a ballpark. Right now I think I remember C0_BC1 was 1746, but I have abo****ely no clue what C1_BC1 was.
These are my default values:
File # 1670: NV_C0_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_1 (default 1772)
File # 1698: NV_C1_BC1_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_1 (default 2550)
File # 1749: NV_C0_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_1 (default 2271)
File # 1776: NV_C1_BC0_VGA_GAIN_OFFSET_1 (default 2989)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCGeeks4ME View Post
Just tried this. Signal results are average of six samples taken once every ten seconds. Battery life results based on a 1:10 phone call to It Could Always Suck More.

Defaults: 1746 / 2285 / 3044
1X: -92
HDR: -81
Battery: 440mA, 11mAh

Tweaked: 1 / 1 / 1
1X: -73
HDR: -69
Battery: 394mA, 10mAh

Conclusion: Holy crap! An increase of 20dBm for 1X and 10dBm for HDR with no apparent impact on battery life!

Now, before everyone gets all excited, realize that this is almost certainly empty amplification, meaning the noise is being amplified as much as the signal, resulting in pretty much unchanged call quality. In fact, while testing I noticed that while the signal strength changed significantly, Ec/Io (I believe this is signal-to-noise ratio?) did not. Still, this has the potential to work wonders in low-signal areas, where the SNR is good but the signal is too low for the phone to detect. I cannot wait to test this on the road.

At lunch time I'll try setting C1_BC1 to 1 as well; I see no reason why we should leave that one out.
Hey, thanks for pointing out C1_BC1, i guess i missed it.. i just changed that to 1 now. Thanks!

Last edited by JuMpMaN6235; 07-31-2009 at 10:05 AM.