View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM
phullofphil
PPCGeeks Regular

phullofphil is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I buy a GPS for a backpacking trip?

I used my gps in the woods where ther is no cell reception no problem without cell service. Your only issue is having your maps on your phone already cause you can not download that far out. Garmin topography maps worked for me but there not free. Matter of fact they saved my but a couple monthes ago. Ther is options for gps programs that do not use internet to download maps on this sight if you search. or google free gps is what i did and ther is options ther. Moste that are free are such that you have to get your own map from internet and save to memmory. It will take a little work but you can. Saying that ther is a problem with battery life. I find unless you are on a short trip or or have a extra battery or two that having this phone as a gps out in the wild is best if your driving in a 4x4 where you can charge it. For emergencys it might save you on a day hike but a hand held gps is the way to go and should always have in your pack if your serious about hiking. The omnia does have gps but in the wild it is more of a toy.