View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
jhitesma
Lurker

jhitesma is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I Give Up! Ready to throw phone out the window!!!

Funny, my experience with the new ROM was quite the opposite. My phone felt much quicker, the new keyboard is much more accurate and Opera works great.

I am a little disappointed in the GPS. (nearly instant aGPS lock but full GPS lock takes a minute or two even outside and then only gets 5 sats max while my BT GPS can get a dozen.) I also tried a 6.5 ROM and wasn't nearly as blown away as I had hoped to be. In fact 6.5 feels a LOT slower to me and while I do like the more finger friendly menus I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it since the phone seems to be a lot less stable and the new Today isn't nice enough to let me get rid of MS3. (Using Adrynalynes Base 6.5 rom)

I did notice the phone reported my battery was going low a lot quicker...but I don't believe it really is. When I first got my phone it was the same way, would be at 50% in no time and I didn't think I'd have a chance of making it through a full day without charging...and that was with very little actual use!

But I followed some tips on here and other sites and "Conditioned" it by running it ALL THE WAY down before giving it a FULL charge. My understanding is that it doesn't so much condition the battery, but rather lets wm learn the details of your specific battery so it can report the charge level more accurately. So it's more a matter of training WM than conditioning the battery. (Though I may have misunderstood what I read and that could be wrong.)

So when I noticed my battery drop below 50% in just a few hours of use after the ROM update I figured I'd try the same thing. And sure enough after a good discharge (didn't have time to do a full discharge that night but got it really low.) and recharge it seems back to normal.

I can easily go 2 days without charging and have made it 3 before. But I don't listen to music on my phone, don't talk more than maybe an hour a day usually, and send maybe a half dozen or so texts. On an average day. On days when I do have a lot of calls/texts or play on the phone a lot...yeah, I need to charge daily. But even then since I did the "Conditioning" I've never gotten down to the 50% mark in a day even with what's "heavy use" for me.