MACE
PPCGeeks Regular

MACE is keeping up the good workMACE is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [JUL 12] *11 Radios Available* Updated Touch Pro CDMA Radio Archive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmyr View Post
i know online speedtests cant be too accurate but they give a rough estimate how well something is performing at a given time, i put a disclaimer in my post mentioning that in no way were these scientific tests....but u can clearly see that the 2 new radios are far faster than the stock rom
I was not directing my comments at anyone in particular at all, you see ppl quoting speedtests as *proof* of the superiority of a certain radio, rom, or device, or whatever, all over the place. Sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you, this was not the case at all. TBH, at least you were trying something that was a "real world" test, sort of

As far as the meaningfulness of your particular tests, even though they were done as close to back to back as you could (considering you had to flash in between each) I'm sorry to have say this, but, unfortunately, due to the currently very low capacity of most wireless networks backhaul, as well as a host of other contributing factors, even back to back tests can vary by rather significant amounts, even if you have an *excellent* signal, and everything on your end is working perfectly.
For example, there have been a number of times where I have seen my bandwidth go from 2.5-3Mbps to 1mbps, or even less than 1, and then back to 2mbps or so in a matter of 10 minutes or less. And it is fairly normal for your average bandwidth to vary by at least .1 to .3mbps especially if you are in a metropolitan area.

On perhaps a more helpful note, I did notice your latency was *extremely* high. You should check to make sure it is nothing on your end, (the most common cause of this is spyware) and if not, call your provider, and tell them about it. If it is on their end, they *definitely* need to fix it, 300+ ms on EVDO is pretty bad, and 600+ is pretty much intolerable, and almost guaranteed, if your latency is that high, whatever problem is causing it is most likely limiting your bandwidth significantly as well. I would not be surprised to see up to even a 1mbps increase, if you get that cleared up, unless it is just fuxxed network settings on your machine.

I hope that this helps.

[Edit]
I just noticed that in your sig, that you had over 500 ms latency in one of your Road Runner tests. If this was done any time reasonably recently, it *strongly* suggests a problem on your end, so I would recommend trying a hardcore malware test first, if you come to the conclusion that is not likely, then check your network settings for a ridiculously huge mtu size, this is something that some tweak programs do for a slight boost in download speed, at a large cost in latency, but I have never seen it account for more than maybe 100ms lag at the most tbh, the only thing that I have seen nuke a connection that badly (from 20-30ms to over 500) is pretty much spyware. Your low upload speeds are also indicative of this.

Sorry if this is the case, but hopefully it at least helps you figure it out.

Last edited by MACE; 07-13-2009 at 07:16 AM.