PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:32 AM
N00b

blueandwhiteg3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easy brightness control

I have a PPC 6800, but the screen brightness controls are so buried (Start -> Settings -> System -> Backlight), it's almost unusable!

For usability in sunlight, I need the screen at maximum brightness. But in the dark (car, theater, etc.) I have to turn the brightness down because it actually is blinding, and is so bright I look like an idiot. Because I can't easily adjust the brightness, I often end up leaving it too bright, thereby wasting battery.

The obvious solution would be a 2 cent ambient light sensor, but that's a feature reserved for the much less important keyboard. But that's another rant for another day.

I would like some kind of application I can map to a button (AEButtons plus or whatever) and allows me to hit the button, then use the nav pad and/or the scroll wheel to adjust brightness. The goal is almost blind adjustment of brightness - because often, when I need to adjust, I am almost blinded.

The Palm OS has had this for years, built in. One tap of the brightness button on theÂÂ*Palm Treo, then the nav pad let you easily adjust brightness. Usable while totally blind.

Any ideas, anybody?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
use the vjLuminous ap to do max bright (brighter than max bright), it sets the brightness to camera mode.

When you install it it adds three shortcuts - on, off, toggle.

That way you can leave it dim most of the time and get max boost right off the start button. Or you can indeed map a button to the toggle...

Have Wifi and GPS on your phone???
Check out Navizon. It's $$$ in your pocket!
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd..._code=5E5D5D5F
Navizon- Get paid $s to use your phones GPS & Wifi!

My Navizon Thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21590
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You could probably write some mortscripts to do this as well, or assign a shortcut to the brightness control panel to a hard button.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

KoukiFC3S is just getting started
Are you not using the htchomeplug? it has a direct shortcut to the brightness menu from the today screen.

If not spb mobile shell has a nice shortcut that lets you select between 4 different levels of brightness.
spb pocket plus lets you cycle between different brightness levels and you can set it to a hardware button.

Of course those apps also do much more but they are worth checking out. They are also 50% off on pocketgear right now.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

prototypedc is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to prototypedc Send a message via MSN to prototypedc Send a message via Yahoo to prototypedc
all you need is spb pocket plus it lets you map brightness and other functions to hard buttons i mapped the brightness control to the message button
Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Karmashock is a n00b
I use spb pocket plus... it gives you a slider for brightness... you can raise or lower it from the home screen... it also gives you toggle buttons if that's what you're after as well...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

diomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiomark is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I use spb mobile shell.. it includes a simple slider for brightness which works really well.
-mark
Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

blueandwhiteg3 is a n00b
I've tried both Mobile Shell and Pocket Plus and can't seem to find a simple slider application. I want to assign the brightness control to say, the camera button, then be able to hit the camera button, then spin the wheel or use the nav pad to adjust the brightness.

The only brightness controls I have seen with Pocket Plus are actions. So if I wanted to use two button on the device, I suppose that might work. But that's pretty messy.

Can anybody show me what I'm missing?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

prototypedc is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to prototypedc Send a message via MSN to prototypedc Send a message via Yahoo to prototypedc
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandwhiteg3
I've tried both Mobile Shell and Pocket Plus and can't seem to find a simple slider application. I want to assign the brightness control to say, the camera button, then be able to hit the camera button, then spin the wheel or use the nav pad to adjust the brightness.

The only brightness controls I have seen with Pocket Plus are actions. So if I wanted to use two button on the device, I suppose that might work. But that's pretty messy.

Can anybody show me what I'm missing?
you can use the camera button got to settings>system tab>spb plus, then make sure buttons is checked off then go to settings>buttons and assign the camera button backlight loop

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software