PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

CJ00TA is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Well, I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician, and CompTIA A+ certified, and I have some background with HTML coding.

The message you posted about the commands being killed is a bit vague. It could either be internal (virus) or external (hacker). Also, the load on the server could be due to the fact that the forums is simply too large, and there is alot of access to the stored files here. Items that would cause an increase in server load are probably from the FTP. Also, if the server is being used for any other purpose, (non-dedicated) the priorities can be scrambled, and it could back up traffic.

Due to the lack of information on the EXACT reason why the site was down, I'm not sure if this is of help, but the caching of older posts could be disabled. You could then add an option within search to include posts after a certain date, but the search would take a bit longer.

Please contact me on the forum if you would like to chat more. I'm on AIM (violinguy92). Also you probably have access to my email address. If you don't, PM me and I can give it to you.

Good luck!

You are thinking too hard. The site is on a shared server.. ISP's kill off sites when you use too much of their CPU.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Rally1 is a n00b
dh

Yeah we ran into a similar issue with dreamhost. They oversell, and we had a busy weekend once and they sent us a similar email about too many connections. While we had many connections, no where near to many for the plans they sell. Went to a new host and no more issues.
I use dreamhost for personal sites, but anything important go dedicated, we use http://www.rackspace.com you will need to have someone who knows what they are doing though.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff
It's not an exploit with vBUlletin, no one is hacking into the forums.. The host (Dreamhost) is shutting down connections with the server when it reaches a max cpu / memory load with the server, alot of shared hosting accounts do this, Dreamhost is somewhat worst then others when it comes to this. This site has grown too much for it to be on any kind of shared server.

Mike, have you checked out Webhosting Talk? (http://www.webhostingtalk.com)
Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
I've used PowerVPS (http://www.powervps.com/) in the past and they've been good for me. I was on the cheapest Webmin Linux plan and it ran a couple boards smaller than this one. You might have to go with the 2nd Linux Webmin plan for this site.

It looks like they've changed their packages though, they don't have Webmin on there anymore.

I didn't have much downtime. There were a couple times when a server would go down for a few hours, but it wasn't very often.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

Coop1979 is just getting started
I run a couple of fairly large sites and about 6 months ago moved from 1&1 dedicated servers to OSWebHosting. I've been very happy with the 1 on 1 attention I receive. Tickets that I submit for software installations or problems on the server are usually responded to within 20 minutes.

http://www.osempire.com/community/sendmessage.php
Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Wow, i think things are settling down now... so far i'm 4/4 loading pages without getting a 500 internal server error

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Lurker

Cytranic is a n00b
go to www.theplanet.com and buy a cheap $70 a month server all for your own. If you need help transferring the mysql database and php forums let me know I've done it about 35 times.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Man Great to see the place up and running again. "THANKS" to everyone who put so much of their time into giving me a place to live.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Ah I see now the problem was with dreamhost...

And I apologize for the multiple posts, but I see I wasnt the only one having trouble posting a reply =]
Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3

Catman51 is keeping up the good workCatman51 is keeping up the good workCatman51 is keeping up the good work
Wow, 2 days of not being able to get here. It was total withdrawal....

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Site News & Announcements