PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Regarding Sprint's TP2's SIM Subsidy/Network Situation

As I promised earlier I would put up the situation regarding the Sprint's Touch Pro 2's SIM subsidy lock situation once I am in China, so bear with me.

I have my Sprint's roaming SIM card activated, now... as soon as I land in Canton (Guangzhou), China, I turned my TP2 on and left it in "GSM Only". That did not do anything since it did not find any networks.

So I left it at Global, what do you know, it actually roamed onto China Unicom (CDMA provider)'s CDMA network! Of course 1xRTT only and I actually made a call back to the States, the audio quality is actually pretty darn good.

I swapped out the Sprint's GSM card and put the China Telecom SIM in and changed the mode to GSM only. Next thing you know, it registered onto the China Telecom's GSM network with the name "CHINA MOBILE" on the screen. I was able to make phone calls, send and receive text/MMS right away. Of course, EDGE speed only, the UTMS 3G in China isn't that quite widely rolled out so I can't quite test the extend of the international 3G capacity on the phone.

So to cap the situation... it has no subsidy lock EXCEPT for going onto an US-based tower.

Now to deal with the jet lag...
This post has been thanked 13 times.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EvoLTE,3D, Iphone 4s
Carrier: Sprint

2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 2k4mach Send a message via MSN to 2k4mach Send a message via Yahoo to 2k4mach
Re: Regarding Sprint's TP2's SIM Subsidy/Network Situation

sweeet, thats good to know since im headed to japan here in a couple weeks.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Good to hear.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

christr is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mach View Post
sweeet, thats good to know since im headed to japan here in a couple weeks.

Does regular GSM still work in Japan? I thought it was all HSDPA now or something like that.

--Chris
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

I wonder if the "China Telecom" sim would have worked if Sprint's roaming SIM card had not been activated.... (I don't see why it wouldn't, but just worried if I should do that before I go on my vacation to another part of Asia
Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

grandpanda is a n00b

Thanks for the update. Have been waiting for it.

I think this is an important piece of information for many Sprint users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
As I promised earlier I would put up the situation regarding the Sprint's Touch Pro 2's SIM subsidy lock situation once I am in China, so bear with me.

I have my Sprint's roaming SIM card activated, now... as soon as I land in Canton (Guangzhou), China, I turned my TP2 on and left it in "GSM Only". That did not do anything since it did not find any networks.

So I left it at Global, what do you know, it actually roamed onto China Unicom (CDMA provider)'s CDMA network! Of course 1xRTT only and I actually made a call back to the States, the audio quality is actually pretty darn good.

I swapped out the Sprint's GSM card and put the China Telecom SIM in and changed the mode to GSM only. Next thing you know, it registered onto the China Telecom's GSM network with the name "CHINA MOBILE" on the screen. I was able to make phone calls, send and receive text/MMS right away. Of course, EDGE speed only, the UTMS 3G in China isn't that quite widely rolled out so I can't quite test the extend of the international 3G capacity on the phone.

So to cap the situation... it has no subsidy lock EXCEPT for going onto an US-based tower.

Now to deal with the jet lag...
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EvoLTE,3D, Iphone 4s

2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 2k4mach Send a message via MSN to 2k4mach Send a message via Yahoo to 2k4mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by christr View Post
Does regular GSM still work in Japan? I thought it was all HSDPA now or something like that.

--Chris
i hope not, i havent been there in 4 years so i really dunno. guess ill find out when i get there lol.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dumbphone - Vogue - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Evo

Meanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Great news, thanks! I am going to Mexico on 3 weeks, wanted to make sure I can get in touch once there.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
N00b

Here's some notes about Japan. Doesn't appear to be much if any GSM there.
http://euc.jp/misc/cellphones.en.html#tech

But Telestial (common place for getting foreign SIM cards) seems to just say you can pop in their SIM and go... so I donno. I've seen other stuff online saying only HSPA works there (which is W-CDMA).

Worth a shot to try tho.

--Chris
Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
N00b

Adding to the last one. If you check Verizon's international roaming pages for Japan it looks like you'll just roam using regular CDMA. But no video/picture/data messaging. You'd need a UMTS device for that.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roa...fic/Japan.html

--chris

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2