PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint
Carrier: Sprint

chrisaroz is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where's all the good stuff like iPhone and Android have?!

I've had a PocketPC phone for YEARS and am amazed at the lack of software! Sure there's a ton of productivity and customization stuff, and a few games here and there, but one look at the iPhone and Android and I'm dumb-struck!

These phones have been out just over a year (for the iPhone) and less that a month for Android and they've already surp***** Windows Mobile in terms of small/useful/creative/free apps. How is this possible? A quick Google of "Best iPhone Apps" bring up a list of neat little things that Windows Mobile developers have never even thought of, not to mention all the games that utilize the accelermoter. We have, what, 2 or 3 games that are actually decent?

As large as the developer base is around Windows Mobile, I have to wonder why there's not more compelling programs out there. Hopefully I've just been looking in all the wrong places and you all can prove me wrong.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Where's all the good stuff like iPhone and Android have?!

You just need to look in other places... lol... There are many great WM apps out there that are free...

Kinoma Freeplay
Opera and Opera Mini
Skyfire
Google Maps
and many more...

The thing that sets Android and Apple apart from WM is that they have an App store that centrally locates all the apps for those platforms... Rumor is that Microsoft is developing their own App Store... Also, there are those carrier branded apps...
Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

coolguy949 is becoming a great contributor

Other than Shopsavvy, i've pretty much found equivalents to the cool software on the iphone and g1. What apps are you looking for? Maybe we can help find them for you. I've had my Touch Pro for 3 weeks now and have been making some nice software discoveries since.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Geek'n it Up
Pocket PC: xv6700 >> xv6800 >> BB Storm
Carrier: Red Devil Verizon

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Lylej2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
Rumor is that Microsoft is developing their own App Store... Also, there are those carrier branded apps...
XDA is putting one together called gecko. First runs are online now. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=436127
Don't forget to hit the

This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaroz View Post
I've had a PocketPC phone for YEARS and am amazed at the lack of software! Sure there's a ton of productivity and customization stuff, and a few games here and there, but one look at the iPhone and Android and I'm dumb-struck!

These phones have been out just over a year (for the iPhone) and less that a month for Android and they've already surp***** Windows Mobile in terms of small/useful/creative/free apps. How is this possible? A quick Google of "Best iPhone Apps" bring up a list of neat little things that Windows Mobile developers have never even thought of, not to mention all the games that utilize the accelermoter. We have, what, 2 or 3 games that are actually decent?

As large as the developer base is around Windows Mobile, I have to wonder why there's not more compelling programs out there. Hopefully I've just been looking in all the wrong places and you all can prove me wrong.
Its not much help if you don't tell us what kind of software you're looking for. Good games is pretty subjective. Are you the tic tac toe/solitar gamer or RPG gamer?

And as far as all the apps that take advantage of an accelerometer, what was the first non apple phone with one? The Touch Diamond? Pro?

If your phone has GPS there a ton of cool apps out there for that. I'd start searching here and at XDA. Beyond that just hit other forums and general google searches.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - Sprint
Threadstarter

chrisaroz is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
The thing that sets Android and Apple apart from WM is that they have an App store that centrally locates all the apps for those platforms... Rumor is that Microsoft is developing their own App Store... Also, there are those carrier branded apps...
That may be it. Trying to find apps is half the problem, then when you find one you ahve to install some special software to make it work - .NET 2/2.5/3.5/Soemthing else - it's crazy! I guess more than anything maybe I do just want a central point to look at software that I KNOW works on my phone without having to install extra stuff. I'll try the link Lylej2k posted.

Some of the things I'm wanting are the shopping app where you scan a barcode and it pulls up prices in your area (I found one that did the weird square ones, but that's not helpful). Other apps are things like Facebook, GPS things for seeing where friends are and just fun GPS things in general, other creative, fun little things.

As far as games, on the computer I play first-person shooters, but on this phone I was really expecting more acceromter-based things. I didn't realize the Diamond and Pro were the first WinMO phones with one so I guess that explains it, but I was really looking forward to some games that used it - golf, bowling, racing...

And HotSheep, I would've bought an iPhone but I'm on Sprint and can't switch carriers.

Thanks for your help everyone, this is why I love PPCGeeks!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Geek'n it Up

Lylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on repLylej2k is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I'll try the link Lylej2k posted.

Thanks for your help everyone, this is why I love PPCGeeks!
just remember, the program i linked you to is in its very first stages.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Some of the things I'm wanting are the shopping app where you scan a barcode and it pulls up prices in your area (I found one that did the weird square ones, but that's not helpful).
Would you mind posting the 'weird square ones' that you found? I can't remember the formal name for them, and you can't really do a good search without SOMETHING to go on!!! LOL

Thanks, and like the others mentioned...there are equivilants to just about every i-app out there, if you mention some in here, I bet they can be found!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Geek'n it Up

i think he's talkin about the program inigma. it reads those "new" barcodes. well i don't know how new they are but anyway....
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

coolguy949 is becoming a great contributor

I beleive they are called QR codes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software