PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guide to using the 6700 (or any WM5 device) One-Handed

Malatesta?s Guide to using the 6700 (or any WM5 device) One-Handed

(Definitive Edition)
Last Updated: 8/14/06

This post has two main points:

a) To refute claims by Palm OS users that WM5 (6700) has poor one-hand support
b) As a guide for new users to better utilize their device without the stylus

Whatever online forum I frequent where various mobile OS?s are discussed, I always come across this critique:

?Yeah, but you can?t use WM5 one-handed? or ?Try using the phone without the stylus, you can?t.? and all of the other variants.

To be blunt this just isn?t true. I?ll concede that out-of-the-box WM5 is not as one-handed as can be but with 10 minutes and a couple programs, that can be resolved. Hopefully this ?guide? will aid in that endeavor. Not everything I list below is needed, so pick and choose what you want!

I can say that using some or most of these programs, you'll easily use this device one-handed 99% of the time.

*Note: If you have anything add to this list or think I missed something, drop me a PM! Also, feel free to use this link in other forums if people need this information!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The List

(1) WM5 Compatible software: This is the easiest thing so I?ll mention it first. Whenever you are going to try new software and one-handed use is of importance, look to see that the software has ?Soft Key? support. This is the way navigation is done in WM5 and if the software doesn?t have this, you?ll need the stylus. If the software doesn?t have these features contact the developer and ask for it! It?s actually fairly easy to code.

(2) SmallMenu (Plus): I find the WM5 program launcher lacking. This program emulates your WinXP start menu e.g. cascading and makes launching your programs very easy. Simply ?map it? to your Win key under your Button settings and you?ll have a new Start menu that is very easy to navigate without a stylus. It?s also very customizable, allowing you to put in your IE Favorites and arranging the sub-menus in any fashion you want. There is a free version and a $7 pay version.
http://tillanosoft.com/ce/smenu.html

(3) Task Management or How to Close Programs: A legitimate complaint about WM5 is that it is cumbersome to close programs. Very true. Also very easy to fix and for free. Using a program like tascal close all, smclose, magic button, DevState or any others found *HERE* will quickly allow numerous methods for properly closing a program with one-hand. There are dozens of these program, most having different features, so find one that suites your needs.

(4) AE Button Plus: This is a small $7 application that basically allows you to assign just about any PPC function or program to your buttons. More importantly, you can assign up to FOUR functions per button (via single press, double press, triple press or long/hold). This would give you upwards of 32 configurable functions! The program also has a built-in Task manager that allows you to quickly switch between applications and close them?all one handed. You can even map things like Turn BT on/off, WiFi on/off, Memory, etc.
http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php

(5) SmartsKey: This free application should have been included in WM5. While running the Phone application, it allows you to use the D-Pad (joystick) to access your Contacts, SMS messages, Call History and Speed Dial simply by pressing in the configurable direction (up, down, left, right). (.cab file attached below)

(6) Email: For Outlook there is a simple .cab file you can install for free that will give you the ability to ?Mark All as Read? and ?Delete All? of your email under the Menu function. (.cab file attached below)

Tip: Also, moving the D-Pay (joystick) left or right will shift between all of your inboxes including SMS text messages by default. So use it!

(7) One-Handed Dialer: Need to dial a new number? Don?t want to touch your touch screen? Try Blade?s One-Handed dialer from his website. It?ll even announce the number as you select it via the D-Pad. Also, check out his other software which is all free and easy to use. http://www.trianglepowers.com/ppc6700/

(8 ) WM5 NewMenu: Replaces one of your default Soft Keys with a fully configurable mini-menu for quickly launching a new SMS, Email, Contact, Appointment, etc. with just 2 clicks. Also free. http://www.saman-cz.com/ppc/index.html

Update 8/21/06: This program now is v2.0 and is even better! Allowing you to add sub-menus and direct links to "Call to..." adding a specific contact or "SMS to...". Simply amazing.

(9) RightMenu: Similar to NewMenu but instead gives you a fully configurable cascading Start Menu from your Right Soft-key, you can even run batch commands. $10. http://www.mycnknow.com/rightmenuen.htm

(10) TodayScreen Speed Dial Plugin: Lifted from the 700w, this little freebie allows you to add SpeedDial right on your TodayScreen! You can list the contacts via Text or by their Contact Picture. Just click on them and it?ll dial. The phone app doesn?t even launch and you use the soft-keys for control. (.cab file attached below)

(11) Cyberon Voice Speed Dial/MS Voice Command: The first is built in to the 6700 (after ROM update) the 2nd is purchased seperately. The only thing better than one-handed use is no-handed! Using your BT headset (or clicking your your assigned button) you can launch any application on your device. Open Cyberon under Settings--> Personal and select your contacts and applications.

(12) DeviceLock: This is how to easily "lock" your WM5 device (e.g. keyguard) and ditch the TodayPlugin. I've already written on this, so if you want to see 4 different methods including how to map it to a hardware key (great if you have AE Button Plus, mentioned above) or have it turn on all the time by default, just go here and read about it.

(13) Replace Your Dialer!: This is a very common addition. Basically it involves re-skinning your Phone Dialer so that the buttons are BIGGER, clearer and nicer looking. There are already two write ups dealing with this: eTen Dialer and zPhone (with additional skins found here).

And if you want some "tactile" feedback while dialing, try out the vibrating keys tweak found here.

That's it!

(yeah, it may seem a lot but seriously it's not)
Old 08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thanks for the power post Malatesta I am going to have fun with this. I have an associate who loves Palm and this has been his biggest argument.
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
N00b

teh_toidi is a n00b
Thats an awesome guide thanks! I myself like to use voice commands with a BT headset, to launch a program before i am going to use
Old 08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Yea voice command is sweet, but this is a GREAT post and guide, thanks malatesta for this....

Old 08-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Thanks again for a great post. I will have to look at some of those programs I must of missed you posting the first time. I went 4 days with out a stylus with no problems running it stock. I did have to tap the screen a few times with my thumb. So those who say it can't be done are full of it. :P
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Thanks for the comments! It's someting I've been meaning to do for awhile and finally go the time/motivation.

VoiceCommand: good lord how did I forget that!! Sometimes the most obvious I overlook.. I think an edit is called for...lol

Update: added Voice control to the original post. Thanks teh_toidi for pointing that out!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Diamond

ajk511 is keeping up the good workajk511 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ajk511 Send a message via MSN to ajk511
haha. i still have yet to evern test voice command
Old 08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk511
haha. i still have yet to evern test voice command
The built in voice speed dial is really good. Takes about 5 mins to do your contacts and main apps, it's so simple. And using your BT headset it a lot of fun with it.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Sonin66 is becoming a great contributor
nice write up Mal, i have big hands and needed this
Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonin66
nice write up Mal, i have big hands and needed this

I added (12) devicelock and (13) skinning the dialer too, since those are quite relevant and popular.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache