PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MEID on Titan/Vogue

Hello,

For those interested, I am documenting how you can give your Titan/Vogue a MEID.

First, a few disclaimers:
THIS IS NOT A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO CHANGE YOUR ESN. ALTERING THE ESN ON YOUR DEVICE IS ILLEGAL, AND THIS FORUM HAS A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY ON CHANGING YOUR ESN. THIS IS NOT A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO CLONE YOUR PHONE. CLONING YOUR PHONE IS ILLEGAL AND THIS FORUM HAS A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY ON CLONING PHONES. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR ASKING FOR QPST/QXDM, AS WAREZ IS ILLEGAL AND THIS FORUM HAS A ZERO-TOLERANCE POLICY ON WAREZ. ADDING A MEID MAY BE IRREVERSIBLE AND I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.

Regarding ESN changing being illegal, see : http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=2002&TYPE=PDF

I am in the process of getting some letters typed up to get the FCC to change this outdated law which really serves no purpose. Interestingly, 47 CFR 22.919 makes it illegal for a phone manufacturer to update the firmware, see 47 CFR 22.919(c) in relevant part:

"Cellular mobile equipment must be designed such that any attempt
to remove, tamper with, or change the ESN chip, its logic system, or firmware originally programmed by the manufacturer will render the mobile transmitter inoperative." (emphasis added)

Firmware updates are clearly, (1) not the originally programmed firmware and, (2) not programmed by the manufacturer.

With that said, it is my belief that adding a MEID to your Titan/Vogue is not illegal, so long that you are not cloning your phone. A MEID is not a ESN, and is not a uniquely identifying serial number for a Titan/Vogue like a ESN is. Most likely, you are adding a MEID for pure fun!

To start, you need:

(1) Titan/Vogue in SuperCID state
(2) QPST
(3) QXDM
(4) SPC Code used for EPST

The steps are actually very easy.
1) Go to the Titan/Vogue. ##DATA#, or start \Windows\DMROUTER.exe -diag
2) Start QPST, and enter service programming.
3) Press "Read from phone". You will be asked for your SPC number. Enter it.
4) Close QPST.
5) Start QXDM. Select "NV Items" from view.
6) Scroll to item 1943, press "READ". It should show item inactive.
7) Enter your desired MEID and press "WRITE"
Reset your phone.

Congrats, you now have MEID on your phone!

EDIT:
This operation is now reversible. According to NexVision, if you relock your phone using the 1.xx Relocker, and then Flash a 2.xx radio onto it, it will inactivate the MEID item.

Last edited by no2chem; 11-14-2008 at 03:36 PM.
This post has been thanked 10 times.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue P3050
Carrier: Telus

Retard613 is a n00b
Re: MEID on Titan/Vogue

Thanks!!! This worked on my P3050 HTC Touch from Telus...
But now every time I turn the phone on, the status is in Airplane mode. When I turn it off and turn the Phone on I have no service. Any ideas?

Thanks

-EDIT-
I have found out that I entered the MEID as a DEC instead of a HEX. If anyone plans to do this to there Vogue make sure you enter your MEID as a HEX and make sure it is correct! You will not be able to change it again as of right now..

Last edited by Retard613; 11-09-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: Verizon

ruslan is becoming a great contributor

Whats the purpose of MEID?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan View Post
Whats the purpose of MEID?
+1

What does this allow you to do??

~John
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

PapaDocta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPapaDocta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPapaDocta is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

indeed it works... you are the man no2chem... and this doesn't just add MEID.. it does a lot more ... can't thank you enough
Old 11-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Exclamation Re: MEID on Titan/Vogue

I must confess, I had never heard of a MEID prior to this thread. I found what it is here:
http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=254
Claims it's a replacement for ESNs.... so according to the original post stating that "A MEID is not a ESN, and is not a uniquely identifying serial number for a Titan/Vogue like a ESN is. Most likely, you are adding a MEID for pure fun!".. according to the definition I found in the link I just posted, it seems to claim the opposite.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Does this only work in a Titan or will it work in a diamond/touch pro etc??

~John
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Pro 2

PapaDocta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPapaDocta is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPapaDocta is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Diamond and Touch Pro already have MEID.. so no need to add one !
Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Reliance

hetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIPhetaldp is a VIP

There is a third or fourth item in NVList which is SCM (Station Class Mask) which also Decides Phonescapability for Only ESN / or MEID Preferred or pESN

If the Value is 0x2A then Phone is ESN Based
If the Value is 0x3A then Phone is MEID Based

Mogul have SCM as 0x2A and Diamond have 0x3A

can anybody try to change SCN to Toggle Betwwen Compulsory ESN r Optional MEID Supports
Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint
Threadstarter

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg View Post
I must confess, I had never heard of a MEID prior to this thread. I found what it is here:
http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=254
Claims it's a replacement for ESNs.... so according to the original post stating that "A MEID is not a ESN, and is not a uniquely identifying serial number for a Titan/Vogue like a ESN is. Most likely, you are adding a MEID for pure fun!".. according to the definition I found in the link I just posted, it seems to claim the opposite.
Yes, for the Diamond and newer devices, MEID is the serial number... However, as it is not set in the shipped Titan, it could not be the serial number.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development