PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Rufus is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Rufus
How To: How To Rip and Play DVD quality movies on your PPC

So I have been trying to put this HowTo together for quite awhile now and I have finally gotten around to putting it together. I posted it on My Blog, but I got no feedback. I Kind of think that people don't check out my Blog too often. So anyway, here it is, released to the public. I for sure stole some of this information from other forums, but it is my own compilation of information.

Love it or hate it, I did it for you.

/End annoying rant and get on with it.

This is a VERY easy way to take a DVD and turn it into a file that can be transferred to your PPC.

To set up for this procedure you will need to do the following things.

On the PC you choose to use:
- The system must have a DVD drive and plenty of space for encoding the movie. (Most typical movies require less than 7GB)
- You must install the DIVX codec.
- You must install the encoding software. FairUse LE

On the PPC:
- Install the TCPMP player.

The rest is easy. I will walk you through the initial set-up, then even if the FairUse LE is closed; it retains the settings from the previous use.

- Place the desired DVD into the DVD drive of the PC.
- Start the Fair Use LE application.
- Enter a Name for the current movie.
- Select a Folder to use for the encoding. (If you have multiple drives, make sure you choose a location with at 7GB of space free.)
- Click the "Full auto mode" checkbox in the bottom left corner.
- Click the options button.
- In options, click the DiVX radio button.
- Set the "Size" to 400. (400MB is what I have been using and it seems that the quality is good and it?s not taking too much space.) Feel free to play with this to suit your own needs.
- The rest of the settings can be left as is.
- Pressing Next will take you back to the Project Screen.
- Press Next again.
- Select the Drive that you have inserted the DVD in and Press OK.

This should take awhile, but now that you have set this up you should not have to change anything the next time you run the application. Once this completes, you should be able to grab the 400MB file that you created and drop it to your PPC.

Open the TCPMP application on the PPC and open the file that you copied over.

I wrote this up pretty quick, so please let me know if you have any problems at all getting this to work.

That is all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~UPDATE NOTES
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04-23-2007:
When transferring the movie file to your PPC, a lot of users have found that doing this using a card reader is a lot faster and easier that trying to do it through Active Sync or Explorer.

Thanks for the input, Please let me know if you have questions about this process or suggestions to streamline this process is greatly appreciated.

.... Oh yeah, and check out my blog!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Or, just follow any of the "rip a dvd to PSP" guides on the web, and use the freeware for the PSP - works just as well (and since my kid has a PSP, I've already got that toolset up and running )

Note that the other benny of the above is you can also re-encode mpeg2 video to a smaller size and take it with you, should you be heading on an airplane where they frown on EVDO orb-streaming

But your guide is good too...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Juslisten is a n00b
What about movies that I have downloaded to my computer? I am trying to take those and play them on my treo 700 wx any ideas on how I can do this?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thanks Rufus great right up, I will be using this allot. This worked great for me accept I was not able to drag and drop through explore in ActivSync, I had to use my card reader to move the avi file to my storage card.
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone 6+

JackSchitt28 is keeping up the good workJackSchitt28 is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D5
Thanks Rufus great right up, I will be using this allot. This worked great for me accept I was not able to drag and drop through explore in ActivSync, I had to use my card reader to move the avi file to my storage card.
a great write up indeed. usually when i xfer a file that big, i have to use a card reader as well. for some reason the file never stops xferring, it goes on, and on, and on.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

wingzero is a n00b
Its always faster to transfer files using the card reader. I suppose if using activsync, the file will pass through the phone before it got transfered to the storage card and that inturn slow down the transfer rate.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juslisten
What about movies that I have downloaded to my computer? I am trying to take those and play them on my treo 700 wx any ideas on how I can do this?
I think as long as they are .avi or some other common file type, you should be able to transfer them over and play them. You are probably downloading HUGE files though, and I don't have any idea about how to degrade the quality and shrink the file size.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

tvith is just getting started
I use the card reader to transfer my700mb movies, that i download to watch on the computer, to the SD card. i've tried programs to shrink the movie down, but it always seem to mess up the timing of the audio w/ the video. So i just leave it alone and take it from the comp. straight to the SD card. Then i use TCPMP to play bak the movie, since WMP doesn't play it bak.

All the movies I have r in AVI format.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That is what I have found to be so great about this process that I have outlined.

I searched everywhere for a way to get my Audio and Video to line-up and then I finally came across this process. It's not perfect, but close to it.

Like I said in my write-up, I definitely recommend 400MB. This is what I have found to be a very suitable quality / quantity balance.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze

kbcherry is a n00b
Rufus,

This is an excellent post and has worked fabulously. Thanks for the help!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software