PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

voipster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry VoIP on 6700 - stuck on stupid?

I've successfully installed wm6.1 using the kitchen on my Verizon xv6700 (apache) which was running wm5. Everything works great except the VoIP application. The Internet tab (used for internet calling) never shows up in the Today screen nor under Start->Setting->Personal->Phone->Internet.

Under the Phone menu I only see Phone, Services, and More tabs. ‘Internet’ isn't a tab listed at the bottom.

The screenshot on this page shows these tabs: Phone, Services, Network, Internet, PIN (I think), and then scrolls off.
http://www.vbuzzer.com/blog/windows-...ration-vbuzzer

Again, my phone only lists Phone, Services, and More. I think I need the 'Internet' tab under 'Phone' in order to do VOIP calling.

When baking, I checked WM6VoIP in the kitchen, but couldn’t seem to find the VoIP app integrated into the phone dialer. I was able to run the SIP config tool, so then I decided to uncheck WM6VoIP from the kitchen and tried installing WM6VoIP.cab and SipConfigTool manually.

They both install fine and I can run SIP config and save the settings, but I still don't see the VoIP app in the phone dialer. i checked the registry and I see the VoIP key in there and all the important VoIP files are in \Windows. i.e.
  • ipdialplan.xml
  • dnsapi.dll
  • voipphonecanvas.dll
  • rtcdll.dll
So am i stuck on stupid? I've read page and pages of threads on getting VoIP to work but nobody saying Internet tab is missing after successfully baking WM6VoIP or succesfully installing WM6VoIP.cab manually.

Tried both Apache_LennySh_19213 and Apache_Helmi_WM6.1 kitchens.

What am I missing? It has to be something obvious.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 PM
cya
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6700, Excalibur, TP
Carrier: Verizon, TMobile

cya is becoming a great contributor
Re: VoIP on 6700 - stuck on stupid?

Voipster .... the today plugin for Internet Calling when checked in Today settings runs in the background but on CDMA phone has never shown on screen (works on GSM phones). I've been using / playing with voip on my xv6700 since wm5 and it still has numerous shortcomings ... i.e. phone lag and the fact that Internet Calling will terminate running in the background on it's own and with the Today plugin not showing you have no clue if it's working or not (requires opening VoIP Setup and clicking on done/save settings to activate again). I've used VBuzzer (still have account) and found there system to work fairly well. Currently I'm using Gizmo for ease of use. With Gizmo I can send/receive calls and SMS messages over WIFI when out of cell coverage. I do use a bt headset to overcome the volume/rear speaker issue and you should note that Internet Calling when setup properly will dial out thru the phone dialer. I've used Skype and Fring and did like Skype's phone program but it's not SIP. Hope this helps.

cya
Old 07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

TechnoHippie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cya View Post
Voipster .... the today plugin for Internet Calling when checked in Today settings runs in the background but on CDMA phone has never shown on screen (works on GSM phones). I've been using / playing with voip on my xv6700 since wm5 and it still has numerous shortcomings ... i.e. phone lag and the fact that Internet Calling will terminate running in the background on it's own and with the Today plugin not showing you have no clue if it's working or not (requires opening VoIP Setup and clicking on done/save settings to activate again). I've used VBuzzer (still have account) and found there system to work fairly well. Currently I'm using Gizmo for ease of use. With Gizmo I can send/receive calls and SMS messages over WIFI when out of cell coverage. I do use a bt headset to overcome the volume/rear speaker issue and you should note that Internet Calling when setup properly will dial out thru the phone dialer. I've used Skype and Fring and did like Skype's phone program but it's not SIP. Hope this helps.

cya

Interesting. I too am using a Gizmo account and a bluetooth earpiece. Same issue with the today screen as everyone else of course.
What I do is just open the dialer - if I see it say "Sprint" I know I'm not using voIP, and then do what you do to re-activate it. Once I've done that, open the dialar and I see the name I put in the voip setup program. Sucks of course, have to open the dialer to know if it's on voIP or not.

I do have a question for you though. One of the issues I've had with Gizmo is the volume level - I find it very hard to hear the person I'm talking too. Do you have this issue too?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 PM
cya
PPCGeeks Regular

TechnoHippie ... I've got the volume issue as well. I've searched several sites (mostly during my wm5 / early interest in voip days ... probably haven't really tried to find any new software or setting for several months) and it seems to be common to most if not all phones. While not great the volume with my BT headset is useable.

cya
Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

TechnoHippie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cya View Post
TechnoHippie ... I've got the volume issue as well. I've searched several sites (mostly during my wm5 / early interest in voip days ... probably haven't really tried to find any new software or setting for several months) and it seems to be common to most if not all phones. While not great the volume with my BT headset is useable.

cya
I've actually screwed around for quite a bit trying to fix the problem. I'm 99% convinced it's a codec problem, I've even managed to get some other codecs installed - and I know they work because I can use them - just can't get them to work with the voip..ha. these codecs i assume have to be compatiable with the voip providers codecs, so i'm curious if people are having this issue with providers other than Gizmo.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 PM
cya
PPCGeeks Regular

TechnoHippie ... I've given up screwing around with it but I hope someone figures out a way to improve the sound volume issue. You might check out the forum at VBuzzer.com .... not very user friendly but has alot of information beyond ppc use, it may have codec information.

cya
Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6700
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

voipster is a n00b

ok, according to Microsoft's own site, I should see this
  1. Tap Start > Settings > Personal tab > Phone.
  2. On the Internet tab, select one of the following options:

Option Result Whenever available While you have a connection to the Wi-Fi network you use for Internet calls, Internet calling is selected. Only if cellular is not available While you have a connection to the Wi-Fi network you use for Internet calls and do not have a cellular connection, all calls are made using Internet calling. Never Internet calling is not allowed.
I still don't see an "Internet tab" when I go to Start > Settings > Personal tab > Phone

I'm using WM6.1

So I'm still stuck on stupid. Actually, I'm not stuck on stupid since I know I'm going to the right screen - This 'Internet' tab is just not there. Do I need to have an active WiFi connection for this to show up? Is Verizon disabling this somehow?

Last edited by voipster; 08-05-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added link to Microsoft's site
Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Lurker

soviski is a n00b

Yeah, how can I use my pc to answer my VoIP phone from the cable company? I am going to be tele-commuting this summer. I love to listen to music while I work but must also use the landline telephone which is a (VoIP). How can I use the same headset for both and switch back and forth? Is there come kind of switch box I could plug the pc and phone into or special headset?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache