PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
The most COMPLETE compilation of hacks and teaks

Here recently I have had a host of persons PM me for hacks and tweaks and want to know how I did or what I did to mine. I know we have had threads in the past to give us hacks and tweaks but never have I seen one in such a vast compilation as the one I have made over time. Now mind you, none of these are mine orginally except maybe 2 of them. The rest are from others (here and elsewhere).

This is 25 pages of hacks and tweaks.

If anyone has any more that I am missing then I ask you to please share with us.

wifi on while the phone is on.
Go to the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SERVICES\WirelessMGR and change “MutexFlag” from 1 to 0. soft reset. You’ll now be able to have wifi on while the phone is on.

Speed up switching between Portrait & Landscape Modes
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
Change limit from 8192 to 16384 I actually used 16384 instead, as it would use less memory

Enable BT & USB DUN
Go to the phone application and dial ##3328873 (FEATURE) and hit dial it will ask for your unlock code, so enter 000000 (six zeroes) EPST will popup and you’ll see two entries: Enable Wmodem and Enable BT DUN. Highlight each in turn and click edit on the bottom right, change both to enabled. Push ok and it will prompt you to soft reset. After soft resetting, you can then dialup via Bluetooth or USB cable. In order to use the USB cable, you’ll need the CDMA USB modem drivers which are on the 6700 product CD under \OEM\APPS\Drivers\CDMA USB Modem. Or download them here: CDMA USB modem drivers. It comes with a dialer program that you don’t necessarily need to use. However, if you’re using the USB cable, you have to start the wmodem program on your pocketPC to keep it from trying to activesync. It’s located in \windows\wmodem.exe. Run this before you connect the handheld to your PC via USB. Then you can just setup a DUN connection in windows to dial #777, use your 10-digit number @vzw3g.com as your username and vzw as the password. Once the connection is setup (assuming you’re using a manual connection in windows) click on the “setup” button in the connection under USB CDMA modem and change the COM port speed to whatever the highest setting you have is. After that, you should be able to dial up just fine.

Change softkeys on “Today” screen
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\keys\112 — left
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\keys\113 — right
You may not have a 113, but you can just make the 113 identical to 112 and change the “open” command. The value for “Default” controls what is displayed on the screen.

Get rid of SMS Delivery acknowledgements (popup and text msg)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\SMS
change “delivery ack” from 1 to 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox
click on “Inbox” then Edit, new key. Name the new key “Settings”
Click on “Settings” and then edit, new string value. Value Name should be “SMSNoSentMsg”, Value Data should be “1″.

Activate MS Voice Command via Bluetooth (HTC WM5.0 Devices)
You must have Microsoft Voice Command installed to use this hack. Goto "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\VoiceCommand\Path ". Change the default value from "\Windows\SDDialer.exe" to "\Program Files\Voice Command\VoiceCMD.exe"..

Eliminate accidentally dialing #777,
if you don't have the unlimited plan Add a user name to the Data Network connection, without any password. In this way, when ever the phone attempts to dial #777, a password screen pops up. You can click cancel, if it isn't intentional, or just click "OK", and it will then complete the connection.

start - settings - connections - connections - Manage existing connections (for me, this is under the Verizon Wireless heading) edit the Data Network Connect that has the #777 number., click next - next -
then put in a username (ANY name will do), and NOTHING else.

Increasing ringer volume!!

I was very annoyed by the ringer volume on the 6700 like some other. I figured out a way to increase the volume on the phones without voiding any warranty on the phone.
I know most of the more tech savvy guy probably already knows but I¡¦m going to spell it out for the non-tech people.

1. First go download this freeware called WavePad.
WavePad
We are going to edit the ringer with this program.

2. Pick a song with the program that you would like to use as a ringer and open it. (wav format)
3. Cut the length of the song to about 20 sec. U do this by putting the indicator on any point on the track and going to the Edit„³trim start(for the beginning) and Edit„³trim end (for the end).
4. After you cut your track to the length you would like it you want to highlight the whole edited track. Just click and drag over the entire track. Now go to the Effects tab „³High pass filter. I recommend putting in a value of 200mhz and up. The 6700 cant handle low frequency well. Then click OK.

5. Now go to Effects tab--> and amplify the sound in intervals of 120. Make sure you don¡¦t amplify the sound too much. If the sound starts cracking when you amplify it you know you have put to much amplification in it. Just undo and lower the intervals.

6. Now go to File--> Save As. Type in the name and location you want to save the file to. Then a dialog box will pop up. I recommend saving the file as Radio Quality. That gives you a pretty good sound out of the phone. Now just add to the phone like normal.

NOTE if your speaker is popping on your phone when you test the ringer. You have put much amplification. Or you might need to switch the high pass filter to a high value like 250 or 300.

MP3/WMA/WAV for Ringtones:
Add media files into "\Windows\Rings\" folder or Use File Explorer and click and hold on media file and select "Set as Ringtone"

WAV for SMS/EMAIL/Alerts/Alarms:
Add WAV files into "\Windows\" Folder
They will now be available in the Settings>Sounds and Notifications section.

Registry Hack for keyboard LED
HKEY_Current_User, then go to Control Panel, then to Backlight, then at the bottom you'll see a key that says QKEYLED TIMEOUT.Modify that key and change the D Word from 10 to whatever seconds you want.

Force EV-DO/1X, quicker ring response
To do this, you will need your MSL, which only Sprint (or your provider) can provide you. Verizons cods is 000000 Open up the phone app and dial ##778 (PST). You will be asked to enter your MSL. Enter it, and you will be brought into the provisioning of your phone. From the top left, select Modem Settings. On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) is how often your phone polls the tower for incoming calls, etc. This value is 1.28 seconds multiplied by 2^value (i.e 0=1.28 secs, 1=2.56secs) with 0 fastest, 7 slowest. The default is 2, but lowering it to 1 hasn't noticeably affected my battery life, and roughly 2.5 second (SCI 1) response time is far more reasonable than roughly 5 seconds (SCI 2).

Also on this page is your preferred operation mode. The Default is Automatic, which is the best available mode (EV that will roll back to 1X when EV is unavailable). There are times when you might be in a fringe area and your mode may cycle frequently and this can seriously drain your battery. Setting this to HDR will force EV-DO only if you demand an EV-DO connection. Changing this setting to CDMA Only will force the phone to ignore an EV-DO tower and maintain only a 1xRTT connection.

Last edited by weedahoe; 11-15-2007 at 09:16 AM.
This post has been thanked 15 times.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Enables the Ext Rom visible

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemStora geManagerAutoLoadTRUEFFS_DOC1]
"Bootphase"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemStora geManagerProfilesTRUEFFS_DOC1]
"MountHidden"=dword:00000000

Below is a copy of Verizon's config.txt for the cabs to be loaded on hard reset:

Apache_VZW_MMS3.0.6.24_20060124.CAB
AutoRun.exe
Config.txt
Customize_105201.sa.CAB
Enable_RingTone.sa.CAB
getMMSCtxMenuInfo.CAB
Link.sa.CAB
PP_AddRingTone_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
PP_AreaCode_Apache_203700.sa.CAB
PP_DataRetry_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
PP_Downlaod_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
PP_MSFP_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
PP_Nolog_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
PP_SMSACK_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
PP_Version_Apache_207200.sa.CAB
PT_BT_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
PT_HideModeOfOperation_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
PT_PhoneSettingHelpFile_Apache_205200.sa.CAB
PT_WiFiAndRadio_Apache_203200.sa.CAB
Region.sa.CAB
Remove.sa.CAB
Signed_MMS3.0.6.22_Apache_VZW_26Sep05.CAB
TPDisable.exe
TPEnable.exe
Verizon_Logo2.bmp
VZWProvision.PPC400_2577MTM.CAB
VZWProvision_Signed.sa.CAB

An easy way to get rid of the "user configurations" Verizon enables is to hard reset the 6700 (hold down both soft keys while hitting the reset key.) Once your device resets and you begin the set-up wizard you can then reset the device before any of the "customizations" are installed. If you want to go back and install the "customizations" you can install them one by one by unlocking the Extended Rom and then opening the cab files yourself. You can unlock the extended rom by downloading this program (you will need to register to download.

http://buzzdev.net/component/option,...leinfo/id,204/

This file will be a RAR file, which you can either open on your PC or download PocketRAR, Here:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

And you can browse to the Extended Rom and view the CAB files by installing Total Commander and typing /Extended_ROM/

You can now view the cab files that would have normally installed.

Today Screen Wireless

This will show if you are on your home network or roaming, also it will show if your WiFi & bluetooth is On/Off. Very cool hack, thanks to that_kid for posting this over at pdaphonehome.com

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click SOFTWARE
Click Microsoft
Click Today
Click Items
Click "Wireless"

Thier will be nothing in this folder to start!

Now add the fallowing to the folder

Add new Dword with a name Flags and the value is "0"
Add new Dword with a name Options and the value is "0"
Add new String Value with a name DLL value is "netui.dll"
Add new Dword with a name Order and the value is "0"
Add new Dword with a name Enabled and the value is "1"
Add new Dword with a name Type and the value is "4

Now close the program and soft reset the phone.

I hate the way the volume slider works by default.
Push and hold it down and it moves down once, then moves down rapidly. You let go and it keeps moving. Argh! You can change this. Go to Settings / Personal tab / Buttons / Up/Down Control tab. I set my Repeat rate to the slowest setting and that seems to turn repeat off. With that setting, you have to slide it and release it once for every notch you want to move up/down in adjusting the volume

The Vision duration registry edit
from the 6600 works on the 6700. This edit allows you to see the duration of your Vision connection along with a button to disconnect it. You see it in the bubble that is displayed when you tap the Vision icon.

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click ControlPanel
Click Phone
[at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'
Click the bottom menu 'edit'
Select new dword value

Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).
Select the 'hexidecimal' button.
Type 10
Click ok.
You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

Flags2 16 (0x00010)
When done, reset the device.

Supposed to increase the quality of the video the camera takes:
HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\ReParam\MP4Large (or Medium or Small).
Change the FramRate value from 10 to 19
*don’t exceed 19

store the Pocket Internet Explorer data on your Mini-SD card instead of the internal storage.
It currently results in a PocketIE error where it crashes and closes immediately after loading a page. Clearing the data using the options in PocketIE solves the problem temporarily.

find this key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders\

3 values are here:

\Windows\Profiles\Guest\History
\Windows\Profiles\Guest\Cookies
\Windows\Profiles\Guest\Temporary Internet Files

Create a folder on your storage card for all three and edit the values above:

\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\History
\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\Cookies
\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\Temporary Internet Files

Add a disconnect button and connection time to your vision connection bubble:
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Phone
Go to New value, then click dword value
Name the value "Flags2" without the quotes
Choose decimal value and enter 16 for value amount

Soft Reset and tap on the vision icon and it will show the disconnect button and connection time

Please note: The "always on" tweak and the Disconnect button/time connected tweak will NOT work together. The always on tweak will override the other tweak and those extra options will not be shown.

Vision duration (see how long you are connected to vision & disconnect button)
- Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-Click ControlPanel
- Click Phone
- [at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'
- Click the bottom menu 'edit'
- Select new dword value
- Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).
- Select the 'hexidecimal' button.
- Type 10
- Click ok.
- You should now see in the 'name/data' section:
- Flags2 16 (0x00010)
- When done, reset the device.

Make PIE look like version 6.0 (advert security check on websites) (Note: This can cause content problems. Esp. with video streams. You will get the following errors - Cannot play the file. The file is either corrupted or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play".)
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
- Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent \
- Change the default value from "Mozilla/2.0" to "Mozilla/4.0".
- Change the "Version" value from "MSIE 3.02" to "MSIE 6.0".
- Change the "Platform" value from "Windows CE" to "Windows NT 5.1".
- Some web sites may just compare the user agent string, but if this is not enough, browse to the Post Platform\ sub key and delete the "240x320" value that specifies screen size.

Change the 'user agent' identification of Pocket Internet Explorer
To change the 'user agent' identification of Pocket Internet Explorer, several fields need to be adjusted. The example shows how to identify as Internet Explorer 6 - desktop version
The standard compliance 'user-agent' string:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\(Default) = "Mozilla/4.0" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)
Defaults to "Mozilla/2.0" The application/version string:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Version = "MSIE 6.0" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

Defaults to "MSIE 4.01" The host operating system string:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Platform = "Windows NT 5.0" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

Defaults to "Windows CE" Please note that if you change the Platform string, PDA-friendly sites may stop sending you PDA-friendly content automatically. Leave this string set to "Windows CE" unless a site absolutely refuses to work, or you want the site to feed you its normal content.

ActiveSync 4.0 turns on automatically
There were several posts indicating ActiveSync turns on by itself when the Axim is not cradled and eventually drains the battery. It never happens to me. Circumvention provided by Invid:

Disabling automatic syncing (and activesync startup) did. The new activesync is a dog, even worse than it was on WM2003SE and makes my x50v almost useless while running. I will list the steps to disable it. Note that you will still be able to sync, but AS will no longer start up on it's own.

1) Start up AS on your x50.
2) Tap the menu tab/soft key and tap "Add Server Source"
3) Configure a server source with a dummy IP address, user id, password and domain name; these do not have to be real
4) Once configured you should have another sync source show up on your main AS screen...continue on.
5) Tap the menu soft key again and you should see that the sync schedule option is no longer greyed out.
6) Change your schedule from a timed automatic start of AS to manual under both fields
7) If you try to sync now, AS will try to contact your imaginary exchange server and that will take forever until it times out, so you can now delete the exchange server from your list of sync sources. Your changes to the sync schedule will remain and will survive soft resets too.

If you have a switcher app running (like vbar) you will find that when you close AS it will now stay closed and you should see a corresponding increase in speed.

Last edited by weedahoe; 04-17-2008 at 07:15 AM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

So you know how you get crappy images from the sprint proxy server? (like when you go to google and you see a grey box behind the compressed grainy google logo) Well, lets say you want to see pictures, but the real natural picture, and dont want the ugly compressed version, or lets say you need to download album art from the net to put into WMP10, you want colorful art right? Here's a solution.

Heres the correct reg edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows-> CurrentVersion -> Internet Settings -> 5.0 -> User Agent

change default to the following:

Mozilla/4.0 ; Blazer/4.0

make sure to do a soft reset and refresh your browser

Remove Wireless Manager, Power Icons & Screen Rotation from System Tray

First let me thank everyone for sharing what you have learned on our 6700's. I hope this is one of many post's with something helpful in it.... anyway here it goes...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\WirelessMgr
DWord: Keep Set Value: 0 0x0(0)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\Power
DWord: ShowIcon Set Value: 0 0x0(0)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\WirelessMgr
DWord: ShowIcon Set Value: 0 0x0(0)

HOW TO: Permanently Disable Flight Mode

You must have a registry editor installed on the PPC. I used PHM RegEdit

Go to the registry and change the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> ControlPanel -> PhoneExtendFunction -> CDMA

Change FlightModeSwitchByPnHEndKey to 0

This will prevent the phone from going into Flight Mode if you accidentally press the End Call button for too long.

Note that Flight Mode can still be used by tapping the signal strength meter. (I wish I could disable that too)

HACK FOR GPS
This ads the GPS icon to your connections tab.
This hack to make the GPS icon and options appear on your phone .

HKLM/CONTROLPANEL/GPS SETTINGS
delete hide
add Group and give value of 2(dec)
This ads the GPS icon to your Settings tab.
This hack to make the GPS icon and options appear on your phone .
HKLM\ControlPanel\GPS Settings
- Change "Hide" to 0

I shut off my blinking LED by going:

Hkey_Local_Machine/Drivers/Builtin/AllLEDMgr
And change the Index value from 1 to 0
Then soft reset.
This is for both the blue and green LEDs.

[EDIT. Note: This deactivated the vibrate mode on my phone]

Speed up dialing on your 6700:

Turn off keypad tones:

Press green phone button
Bottom right "MENU"
OPTIONS
KEYPAD = OFF
OK
speeds up the dialing process a lil bit

But remember one thing- If you turn the tones off, then you will lose your ability to send "TouchTones" by hitting certain digits. No dialing of extensions, PIN numbers etc.

To prevent your Today background screen from getting reset every time you do a soft reset, take any file management program and go to \Windows\StartUp. There should be a link to a program called __cusTSKTEMP.exe. Delete this link (or move it someplace else if you feel awkward about deleting things inside \Windows). I have tested this on a Verizon phone

Change Voice Codec (VOCODER) from EVRC to 13k on xv6700

First dial ##778
Tap on "Edit"
Enter Unlock Code 000000
Tap on arrow to upper left hand of screen to reveal drop down menu where it says "Display"
Select "CDMA Settings"
Click and hold on the "EVRC Enabled" line under the Settings column
Select "Edit"
Switch to "Disabled"
Then press "ok"
Click and hold on the "Home Page" line under the Settings column
Select "Edit"
Switch to "Voice 13k"
Repeat for "Home Orig" and "Roam Orig"

Voice Command Volume Fix
Open your regedit program
Go to
HKEY Current User - Control panel - Sound Catagories - Voice Command (or Voicecommand1)-
click on voice command(or voicecommand1) and look for the keys and value section

In the settings
Change:
Attenuation Catagory - Value 1
InitVol - Value 3
Close the edit app
soft reset
and then you might need to check your settings in Voice Command.
Once you have the VOice command settings set for the phone for announce calls, etc
Then call your phone and see if you notice an increase in volume.

If you are running any 3rd party apps, you might need to make sure the volume is set to full.

Start Items
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\NewMenu
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Start Items

IE always wanting to go to the "blank" setting and not my home page

- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
- change "blank" to whatever you want

Change Site IE Button brings up on your Keyboard (HTC)
Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\OEM\KEYBD\PieHomePage ". You can either delete the value completely and get a LOCAL windows default page like I do or put in the site or local file of your choice.

how to disable SMS delivery receipt text message on Verizon 6700

Edit the registry
HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\SMS
Change "Delivery Ack" from 1 to 0
Soft reset

How to keep your backlight (on battery power) from reverting back to 10 seconds
\HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight\LockLevel

ignore the LockLevel key inside the LockLevel folder...RENAME the folder to LockLevelx...i tried various other strategies but this caused the phone to eventually recreate the LockLevel folder with the proper key inside...but this time the key was set to 0 instead of 1. it's been 2 weeks with multiple soft resets and the backlight settings have been surviving as they should...

Add AM/PM to the time
HKLM\nls\overrides

1. Create String: S1159
Value = Am
2. Create String: S2359
Value = Pm
3. Create String: STFmt
Value = h:mm tM

Thought this was a must have for those whos nights run into mornings and visa versa. The srings and values are case sensitive.

Fix for "Pocket PC Networking: Unable to obtain a server-assigned IP address." while connected via ActiveSync.

Set HKLM/Comm/RNDISFN1/Parms/TcpIp/EnableDHCP to 0

BTW, This problem is caused by what appears to be a bug in WM5 settings page for the 'Remote-NDIS Host' in Start-Settings-Connections-Network Cards-Configure Network Adapters. When you tap Remote-NDIS Host to view the settings, it is set to use a specific IP address but the address is blank. WM5 will not let you exit this settings page unless you:
A - enter an IP address
B - tap use server assigned IP address

I solved it by going to Settings|Connections|Configure Network adapters. Set
the 'Remote-NDIS Host' settings to use a specific IP address of 169.254.2.1,
subnet 255.255.0.0, default gateway 169.254.2.2

This is what they should be anyway, everything should work now and no
annoying message.

View the Lunar Calendar
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Calendar
ShowLunarCalendar = (change "0" to "1")
Under View in Calendar, now shows the Lunar Cycle.

Change PIE Home PageChange Internet Explorer Homepage

Changing Homepage in Pocket internet explorer:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"=http://yourpage.com

Page-Scrolling in PIE
Change PIE Scrolling from TABBING to normal PAGE DOWN/PAGE UP.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Navigation\4-Way Nav
Change Value from 1 to 0

SIP: Suggest More Words
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] DWORD Name: SuggWords
Value: (Choose your preferred number of suggested words - See below)
Default value is 4.
You may choose 0 to 6.

Forcing 1x on the phone
Phone/menu/option/service/scroll down to see if you have the "Mode of Operation" if you dont....then you need to do the hack.

Change the option HiddenPreferenceMode from 1 to 0
HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\PhoneSetting

Showing Delete VM setting in phone options

Change the option HiddenDeleteVM from 1 to 0
HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\HiddenDeleteVM

Sets Number for Voicemail
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Vmail]
"UserProvidedNumber1"="*86"

Sets Multi-NAI (Detection of Tethering, by using a different NAI)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\WModem]
"Multi-NAI"=dword:00000001

Sets SMS Priorities
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\SMS]
"EnablePriorityHighLevel"=dword:00000001
"PriorityHighLevel"=dword:00000001

Repeat Notifications--Turn them on

This will enable the "Repeat" option within Sounds and Notifications for Phone: Missed Call.

\HKCU\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877D660-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}

Options
Value data: 1073741845
Decimal

Changing this registry setting enables the Repeat option as well as "Flash Light for 15 minutes". You can make changes to any of the options, as needed and the Repeat should stay enabled.

Alternatively, you can do a quick FIND within your registry for "missed call" and this should help you to quickly locate the proper key.

Disable menu animations
To disable menu animations (sliding in/out) and speed up performance of the UI a bit:
HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Menu\AniType = 0 (DWORD decimal)
To change it back to the default:
HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Menu\AniType = 6 (DWORD decimal)

Last edited by weedahoe; 11-15-2007 at 09:28 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Disable window animations
To disable window animations (minimizing/maximizing) and speed up performance of the UI a bit:
HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Animate = 0 (DWORD decimal)
And to switch them back on:
HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Animate = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Increase font cache
To increase the font cache, speeding up font rendering at the cost of a bit of memory:
HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 16384 (DWORD decimal)
To change it back to the default:
HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit = 8192 (DWORD decimal)
You can set the value to pretty much anything you like

Enable FileSystem cache
To enable the FileSystem cache, speeding up overall performance at the risk of the cache not being written on a sudden reset:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To disable again:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Note that by default, the cache size is zero, and you will see no effect. See "Increase FileSystem cache" to incease the cache size

Increase FileSystem cache
To increase the file system cache:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 4096 (DWORD decimal)
To return the file system cache to zero:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Increase FileSystem filter cache
To enable the file system filter cache, speeding up overall performance with file mangement:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt\Rep lStoreCacheSize = 4096 (DWORD decimal)
To return the file system filter cache to zero:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt\Rep lStoreCacheSize = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Change the thickness of scrollbars
To change the thickness of the scrollbars at the right/bottom of documents larger than the screen, adjust...
For the horizontal (bottom) scrollbar:
HKLM\System\GWE\cyHScr = 9 (DWORD decimal)
For the vertical (right) scrollbar:
HKLM\System\GWE\cxVScr = 9 (DWORD decimal)
The default thickness is 13. You can set the value to pretty much anything you like

Change the length of scrollbar arrow buttons
To go with changing the thickness of the scrollbars, you may wish to change the length of the scrollbar arrow buttons...
For the horizontal (bottom) scrollbar arrows:
HKLM\System\GWE\cyVScr = 9 (DWORD decimal)
For the vertical (right) scrollbar:
HKLM\System\GWE\cxHScr = 9 (DWORD decimal)
The default length is 13. You can set the value to pretty much anything you like

Enable ClearType in Landscape mode
To enable ClearType in Landscape mode:
HKLM\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings\OffOnRotation = 0 (DWORD decimal)
To disable:
HKLM\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings\OffOnRotation = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Note that your PocketPC screen's LCD red/green/blue ordering required for proper ClearType display is only correct for Portrait display. You may or may not prefer to leave ClearType in Landscape mode disabled

Change the display of the clock in the taskbar
The clock in the taskbar can be changed to show not only the time, but also the date, or just the date, or nothing at all.
To show nothing:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 0 (DWORD decimal)
To show just the clock:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To show just the date:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 2 (DWORD decimal)
To show both the date and the clock:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TBOpt = 3 (DWORD decimal)

Note 1: If you switch to the Analog clock display, the date will remain visible -through- the Analog clock
Note 2: Setting the clock to show 'nothing' will still keep the reserved space, showing the taskbar background, and obscure any icons that will shift to the right.
Note 3: Your date may get obscured by the space reserved for the OK/Close button in the top-right. You can fix this my adding spaces at the end of your 'Short Date Format'. See also the tweak on 'Change the Short Date Format'

Change the Short Date Format
Applications may call upon the system to provide a 'short date format'. One such application is the Date/Time display in the taskbar, if set to show the date. To change the Short Date Format to show "Mon/2" (example):
HKLM\nls\overrides\SSDte = "ddd/d " (REG_SZ string, no quotes)
Note 1: For more information on date/time formatting strings, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...dateformats.asp
Note 2: All applications using the short date format will be affected by this change. Choose wisely

Disable the security warning when installing non-certified application
To disable the security warning when installing a non-certfied application, set:
HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\0000101a = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To restore the warnings:
HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\0000101a = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Note that this makes it easier for any malware to install itself

Default SMS Delivery Notifications to on
To always have SMS Delivery Notifications enabled:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\SMSDelivery Notify = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To disable them (can still enable per-SMS in SMS settings):
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\SMSDelivery Notify = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Note that SMS Delivery Notifications are a network provider option, and the recipient may refuse them to be sent out

Disable 3gp (video) size limit (only on HTC devices)
To disable the 3gp (video recording format) size limit:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\camera\AppDefSettings\P3\EnableL imit = 0 (DWORD decimal)
To re-enable:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\camera\AppDefSettings\P3\EnableL imit = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Change slide-out keyboard layout
If you have a Device from one country, but would like to use the keyboard layout of another, you can change the keyboard's language setting to do so...

For US layout (QWERTY):
HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd\Locale = 1033 (DWORD decimal)
For German layout (QWERTZ):
HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd\Locale = 1031 (DWORD decimal)
For French layout (AZERTY):
HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd\Locale = 1036 (DWORD decimal)

For other codes, see: hxxp://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/...p/xp-lcid.mspx

Make reminders show only once
By default, reminders will keep bugging you for 2 minutes. You can change this to zero minutes by adjusting this value:
HKCU\ControlPanel\Notifications\Reminders\AutoSnoo ze\AutoSnoozeMins = 0 (DWORD decimanl)

Note that you can set this to any value you like. Alternative to setting this value to zero is to delete the '?AutoSnooze' key altogether

Remove operator skin from Phone app
If your device's Phone app is skinned, you can remove by setting:
HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin\Enabled = 0 (DWORD decimal)
Similarly, you can restore it with:
HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin\Enabled = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Enable/Disable receiving of files over BlueTooth/IrDA
If you want to prevent receiving files over BlueTooth or IrDA, you can set the following value:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Obex\IsEnabled = 0 (DWORD decimal)
And to (re-)enable:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Obex\IsEnabled = 1 (DWORD decimal)

GPRS always on
If you want your GPRS (or EDGE) connection to always be on, set the following:
HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\|gprs connection name|\AlwaysOn = 1 (DWORD decimal)
And to turn it off:
HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\|gprs connection name|\AlwaysOn = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Change ringtone/vibrate/LED flash characteristics
If you would like more control over how your device rings/vibrates/flashes its LEDs on events, you can can change the Script values of these events. For example, for an incoming call performing 'activate device, play ringtone, wait 3 seconds, repeat':
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0\Script = "apw3r" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

For performing 'active device, set volume to 33%, play ringtone, set volume to 67%, play ringtone, set volume to 100%, play ringtone (no repeat)':
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0\Script = "ac33pc67pc100p" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)
The following are the full codes available to you. Please note that all the codes are executed simultaneously except after a ringtone play / wait code. E.g. 'v1p' will vibrate and play at the same time, while vibrating for 1 second. But 'pv1' will play the ringtone through all the way first, then start vibrating for 1 second.

a = activate device
cN = set volume to N in percentage max volume
fN = flash notification LED for N seconds
p = play ringtone. Note that this will play the ringtone all the way through before continuing with the next code.
r = repeat. Note that this should be the last code in your Script string, if used at all.
vN = vibrate for N seconds
wN = wait for N seconds. Note that the device will wait this long before continuing with the next code.

Disable the SMS Sent notification
If you're tired of the "Message Sent" notification after sending an SMS/text message, you can disable them:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\SMSNoSentMs g = 1 (DWORD decimal)
And to re-enable:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\SMSNoSentMs g = 0 (DWORD decimal)
Please note that the 'Settings' key may not exist in your device, and thus may have to be created first.

Change the SMS Sent notification text
If you just want the "Message Sent" notification to read something different, adjust the following:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\SMS\MessageSent = "Message Sent" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)

Last edited by weedahoe; 11-15-2007 at 09:32 AM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Always require SMS Delivery notification
If you always want an SMS Delivery notification (see note below!), and are tired of ticking the 'Request message delivery notification' checkbox, set:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\SMSDelivery Notify = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To disable again:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\SMSDelivery Notify = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Note 1: Delivery notifications will depend on your and the recipient's operator network capabilities! Note 2: You can still override this with the regular checkbox.

Disable charging over USB
If your device can charge over USB, you can probably disable this feature by setting:
HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\usbfndrv\EnableUsbCharging = 0 (DWORD decimal)
And to re-enable:
HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\usbfndrv\EnableUsbCharging = 1 (DWORD decimal)

Show Calendar event text in Week View
If you wish to see a Calendar event's text in the Week View, set the following:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ShowTextInWeekVie w = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To disable it again:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ShowTextInWeekVie w = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Please note that your event must have long enough a duration to show the event text, and the week view (with its narrow columns) truncates long words easily
Also note that the key "Calendar" may not exist - just create it if it doesn't

Here's a list of all ## codes from the registry:

#4357#
##33284#
##3424#
##778#
##786#
##8626337#
##2539#
##7738#
##3282#
##775#

So, ##778# - edit - Master SubLock. = Advanced programing.

Don't mess with these settings unless you're in wireless repair or you know what you're doing. You can seriously mess up your phone and it could take days for repair to figure it out. Some of these settings are for advanced repair agents only and if you mess it up it could be days before someone finds out what it was. The only way to get your Master SubLock is through your provider anyways.

Customize startup programs
In this registry key you can find all the items that appear in the 'New' menu on the Today screen:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\NewMenu

These are the programs that automatically start when performing a soft reset:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Start Items

Customize 'Low Battery' alerts

Browse to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D663-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}\
Create a String value named "Default" and set its value to "Low battery warning".
Now go to Start > Settings > Personal tab > Sounds & Notifications applet > Notifications tab, select "Low battery warning" in the "Select an event" drop-down list and you can customize it.
Change Display Name order in Contacts

set Display name in Contacts:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\contact\cproghook]
"FL"-> Set 0 if LastName then FirstName, 1 if FirstName then LastName
Alternately you can also simply put your first name then last name and then a comma after it so it will display correctly.

An example is John Ross,

Change Start Menu Color

The registry Binary Value key that controls the font color on the start menu is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Color\39 and value for black is 00 00 00 00. Here are values for other colors: black = 00 00 00 00 red = FF 00 00 00 green = 00 FF 00 00 yellow = FF FF 00 00 blue = 00 00 FF 00 purple = FF 00 FF 00 White = FF FF FF 00

Show hidden Photo Album Options

To enable Editor options: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\HTC\Album\ DisableEditor] "Disable" -> Set 0 to Enable and 1 to Disable

Clear Start Menu Items

Modify this registry values: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TaskSwi tch] "0"=" " "1"=" " "2"=" " "3"=" " "4"=" " "5"=" " "6"=" " "7"=" " "8"=" " "9"=" " "10"=" " "11"=" " All done!

Change font properties of menus

The keys under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GWE\Menu\BarFnt
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GWE\Menu\PopFnt
hold menus font properties. I like:
Wt="400" (or 0x190, non-bold)
Ht="800" (or 0x320, standard size)

Control the font size of text

The Settings->System->Screen->Text Size dialog changes the value of the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Stylus\96DPI\CurFo nt
If you have a higher resolution PPC, you may change the "96DPI" to something else. Look for it in your registry tree.

Fine tune shortcuts for buttons

You'll find everything you need under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Keys
These properties are set by Settings->Buttons,
but the fine tune will let you do more and even change those icons.

Change the Tap and Hold Dots Color

1) Go to the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Color\ key.
2) Add a Binary value called "40" if it does not already exist.
3) Set the value to "rr gg bb 00" (RGB hex values 00 to FF so "FF 00 000 00" is Red)

Change call history size

Navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Phone]
"CallHistoryMax" contains the number of numbers that will be kept in history. F.e. change it to 100.

Add background images to alerts

You can use this tweak for different alerts such as call Alert, errorbox, informationbox, questionbox, exclamationbox, dail, log, start, volume dialog etc.

i am describing the process for the call alert only, the rest is the same for all above mentioned items.

HKLM/software/microsoft/shell/Rai/CallAlert

1) create string key named BKBitmapFile and in value define jpg file name with full path
2) create dword key named BKFlags and set value 26
reboot your phone

now when you will receive a call the image you defined will be in the background

In-call volume change without sound

You can change the following values:

HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\LoudestInCallVolume
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\QuietestInCallVolume
HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\StandardInCallVolume

within each of these keys the default 'Script' value is 'p' for 'play'

Change the 'Script' value to blank (erase the 'p')

No more annoying beeps and the volume changes quicker! YAY

Change the location of email and attachments
When reading and sending email in Pocket Outlook, emails and their attachments are saved in the device's internal storage by default. You can change this location to, for example, your Storage Card:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI\PropertyPath = "\Storage Card\Mail" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)
(For Windows Mobile 6 use -- HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings\PropertyPath) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI\AttachPath = "\Storage Card\Mail\Attachments" (REG_SZ string, no quotes)
To return to the original location:
Just simply delete these Registry settings (since neither is included by default).

Show Calendar event text in Week View
If you wish to see a Calendar event's text in the Week View, set the following:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ShowTextInWeekVie w = 1 (DWORD decimal)
To disable it again:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ShowTextInWeekVie w = 0 (DWORD decimal)
Please note that your event must have long enough a duration to show the event text, and the week view (with its narrow columns) truncates long words easily
Also note that the key "Calendar" may not exist - just create it if it doesn't

Change Calendar 'working days'
If you wish to change the 'working days' in the calendar, adjust the following:
For a Mon-Fri workweek (default):
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ActiveTimes\Activ eTimes = 2210003E (DWORD hexadecimal)
For a Mon-Sat workweek:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ActiveTimes\Activ eTimes = 2210007E (DWORD hexadecimal)
For a Tue-Thu workweek:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ActiveTimes\Activ eTimes = 22100016 (DWORD hexadecimal)

Here's how this works. When editing the value, switch to "Binary" mode. For the default Mon-Fri, you should see:
The last 7 numbers are what we're interested in. They stand for the days of the week, in reverse order: Saturday, Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday, Monday, Sunday. When the number is "1", it is a working day. If it is "0", it's not a working day. So to look at the above examples again:
Days : SFTWTMS
Mon-Fri: 0111110
Mon-Sat: 1111110
Tue-Thu: 0011100
Using the above, you should be able to set the working days to whatever you'd like.
Note that this value also adjusts the working HOURS. The examples here all use the default 8am-5pm workday. See the "Change Calendar 'working hours'" tweak to modify this.
Note that the ActiveTimes key and value may not exist. Simply create them first.

Change Calendar 'working hours'
If you wish to change the 'working hours' in the calendar, adjust the following:
For 8am-5pm (default):
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ActiveTimes\Activ eTimes = 2210003E (DWORD hexadecimal)
For 9am-5pm:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ActiveTimes\Activ eTimes = 2212003E (DWORD hexadecimal)
For 2pm-10pm:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Calendar\ActiveTimes\Activ eTimes = 2C1C003E (DWORD hexadecimal)

Last edited by weedahoe; 11-15-2007 at 09:40 AM.
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff
Wow! Many many thanks!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Hint for searchers

Weed,
This is a great list. I've used it twice already - nice of you to share.

FWIW, the site search features don't work so well on this kind of long post - you'll see what I mean if you try searching for anything using "search this thread".

Once you're in this thread, go to the first page and use your browser's search-page function (Ctrl-F) - works great.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: titan
Carrier: bell

PaulFix is a n00b
Thanks for the post, many are intergrated in the newest kitchens and all others can be added to your own kitchen ( using oemizer )

Great list, cheers
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S 4G, EVO View 4G, Nook Color, Dell X30
Carrier: T-Mobile

av8tr is just getting started
2 more hacks

Change bluetooth name. The default is whatever the owner name is. (I take credit for this one.) Go toothing!

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Set tings]
"LocalName"="toothing?"

Disable the sound of turning the radio on or off: (No credit, but a must have for me.)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction \CDMA\FlightModeOnOFF]
"EnableSound"=dword:00000000
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: sprint

ls6tt is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to ls6tt
somebody sticky this please

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache