View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM
[sammich]
Retired Moderator

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[UPDATED!] City AND State of Area Code on Incoming Call Screen [VZW Support Added!]

Howdy!

I just finished a little project I started earlier today. This tweak updates the HTC area code / location database to include both the city AND state of the call. For Canadian area codes, I have added "(Canada)" at the end of the listing, and for international calls (such as Bermuda, Trinidad & Tobago, etc.) I have added "(INTL)" to the end of the listing. If you're confused, just take a look at the screenshots below, they should clarify everything.

This tweak should work on any device that currently displays which state a call originates from.

NOTE:
1. THIS IS NOT AN APPLICATION. This is a registry tweak. There is nothing running in the background to slow down your device!
2. I spoofed my phone number to get the examples pictured below. The (710) area code is reserved for government use ONLY [so I hope I didn't dig my own grave my spoofing my number to that!]
3. As you know, an area code can cover a massive number of cities. I used the most recent area code database, which listed every city covered by the area code. Within each area code, the largest metropolitan cities were indicated. I mapped the coverage of the area code and selected the most central of the major cities. Therefore the reported location gives a general idea of where the number originates from.
4. I am receiving reports from many VZW ROM users that the location information is not shown on the incoming call screen. Please see below for a fix.

I skimmed over the list a few times to check for spelling mistakes/typos, but it is possible that I missed something. If you get an incoming call and, for example, it says "Toldeo, Ohio" instead of "Toledo, Ohio", or perhaps the location information is too long and therefore cutoff the screen, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I will update the tweak to ensure the mistake is corrected.

[For any Texas A&M Aggie fans, a user requested a tweak to the 979 area code, which I have posted here.]

Code:
CHANGELOG

04/16/2010:
# Fix for VZW and possibly other carriers added

03/24/2010:
# (502) area code updated (thanks Rhodium500)

03/23/2010:
# Initial release
# (724) area code updated (thanks badwolf)
# (323) area code updated (thanks Bdurst08)
ROM Chefs: feel free to use the XML in your ROM!
I do request one thing, however. If you wish to post this elsewhere, just mention my name in your post. Thanks!

NOTE TO VZW USERS (and those who cannot get this tweak to work on a stock dialer):
Drewcam has found a fix! If you install the .cab attached below and the tweak does not work after a soft-reset, click here to download his fix. Don't forget to thank him at his post here.

Any work I do, tweaks I make, or fixes I provide are for the community to use and improve their devices. I have been asked if I accept donations which is why I am writing this. To be honest, just knowing that my work helps others makes me happy. However if you feel the need to show your appreciation in another way, I have setup a Paypal donation link here. But still, leaving a message saying that you like my work is thanks enough!
Attached Files
File Type: cab [saumaun] Extended Area Code DB.cab (4.2 KB, 3596 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by [sammich]; 04-16-2010 at 04:00 PM.
This post has been thanked 239 times.