View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR MOGUL!

As with all CPU overclocking applications, these things are CHIPSET SPECIFIC!
That is, they use a special command that the chip manufacturers slip into their design to allow clock speeds to be adjusted for their own purposes. This is not a standard command, and every manufacturer has their own way of doing it.

That is, an overclocker for an Omap CPU wouldn't work on an Xscale CPU or Samsung CPU. At the very least, the command will bounce off the chip and it will ignore it. However, sometimes it will lock up the system, or worse, actually do damage to the chip.

The mogul/vogue/Kaiser as well as future planned HTC devices use a new Qualcomm chipset. The apache uses the Intel Xscale chip. While they are compatible in their OS instruction set, they are not compatibel in anything else, ie. hardware acceleration, overclock commands, etc... are all different!
(look at the direct draw support on the new devices for an example! They haven't properly started supporting the direct draw on Qualcomm just yet).

At best, this application is a placebo effect for mogul users. At worst, you're actually slowly frying your chips without knowing.

Last edited by dishe; 01-07-2008 at 01:48 PM.