PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

ms52390 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Omnia Modem

Alright so I need some help gettin the modem feature to work with my omnia. I searched around but failed to find some decent assistance. I have the driver from samsung, and windows (vista 64bit) detects it as a modem which i feel is a good start. I have heard mixed things about needed some access manager or reg hacks but have once again failed to find a solution. There is no "internet connection sharing" link under programs. But under Settings>System>Data Connection: I did find a option to "as the modem through USB" with this selected my phone will not sync up with windows mobile device center. Can anyone steer me in the right direction with this?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung i910
Carrier: verizon

choperthedog is a n00b
Re: Omnia Modem

yes you do need the vzw access manager disk that came with the phone and install it . you will also need to add the broadband service to your existing account. (yes, give them more of your money. ) you do get 5gigs of allowance per cycle. for the extra $15 a month (I have had this feature along time. might be more now ) . works great for me with no home phone and travel alot. I have had downloads clock at 140kb a second.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

If you're running the stock ROM, you'll need to get the Internet Sharing cab to be able to have that functionality or else pay for Verizon's tethering plan (unnecessary really). If you flash your ROM, the program will already be included. You can also look in this forum to find out how to use WMWifiRouter which allows you to tether the phone to a computer/device using wifi.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

bluetooth_decay is a n00b

You have several options:

1. Pay Verizon for their Broadband Access tethering service. They give you software, that you must run, and that performs a function that Windows' built in networking does better. But it's fully supported by them. Personally, if I used Verizon for my primary Internet, I'd get an aircard and not tie up my phone. But I only tether occasionally, so I use option...

2. Install the WinMo Internet Connection Sharing app on the phone. Windows Mobile includes this, but Verizon removed it from their stock ROMs (presumably to convince you to pay them extra for Broadband Access). One installed, you plug in the phone to your PC (with Activesync installed) with a data cable, start the Internet Sharing app on the phone, and hit "Connect". Google for "Omnia ICSinstall" to find it. Once you have this on the phone, you can get other programs like WMWifirouter, the HTC Internet sharing app that has been ported to the Omnia lately, or, if you like getting your hands dirtier, ICScontrol, to turn your phone into a wireless access point and more.

3. Use a tool like QPST to hack the phone's radio firmware to allow it to get on the 3G network as a "dumb" dial-up modem. You have to install the Samsung USB modem drivers for this. This used to be your only option, but today option 2 is much easier, and I wouldn't recommend this any longer.

Last edited by bluetooth_decay; 08-13-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Lurker

artart is a n00b

Hi, nice post! Are you saying with option 2 that you do not need a data plan from Verizon?
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Check out this thread...http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57352

follow the instructions in the first post...both programs work flawlessly for me...goodluck...!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Lurker

artart is a n00b

Works like a charm. I called Verizon to set up VZAccess and they told me $15/month. What a rip-off. This saved me lots of $$'s. Using it now to access my email, etc.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia