PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card
Carrier: Sprint

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Hey everyone

Rephrase:

You WILL have problems if you switch from Sprint to roaming a lot.

I have to reset my phone 2-3 times a day due to that issue.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by itony View Post
umm thanks for the help? I'm curious to what the pro subforum will say if I should post the same topic about that phone

so what you're saying is that it isn't too bad of a problem it just disappears and forces you to tediously go through the menu every time to get to your text/email right? hmm I guess that's pretty annoying but you could live with that

2.5/5 oh boy that makes things harder
if only the tp2 would go down in price *sigh
LOL...bingo on the issue of tediously going through the menu. And (not to sound like a broken record here...) you're stuck with that ridiculous WM notification bubble. Oh, by the way, which happens to cover the bluetooth icon so you can't tell if your BT is on or connected to anything when you have a notification.

I'm just loving this phone right now, huh.

I still know the TP2 isn't the right device for me, since I use a d-pad *constantly* and I use my phones one-handed all the time. A 2-handed phone with no buttons would make me miserable, even if it has an 800x480 screen that tilts and fetches the newspaper and is also a floorwax and a shamwow all at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. A lot of people seem to really love the Intrepid, esp. if you believe the reviews. I just think at this point manufacturers should be doing a better job of usability study and QA. That said the Intrepid was cheap as I got it on upgrade, so maybe I shouldn't have really high expectations.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Boost Mobile

jac1599 is just getting started

I'm one of the people that loves the Intrepid.

Yes, there are things that annoy me...like the pop up notifications when the phone is locked. It would be much easier just to tap the lock icon and then an SMS icon pops up, and then I could slide it over to check my text. But it's basically the same amount of work for me to slide the main unlock over and then tap the SMS icon on my "Titanium Notifications" panel.

I don't seem to have a problem with the light either. It flashes for me...of course maybe I can always get to it before it stops flashing. It would be cool if we could change the color of it like you can on Blackberrys.

There's a lot of free software out there that minimizes the annoyances of the phone. Titanium Notifications is a big one. I love that panel.

Really, my only complaint now is that sometimes it lags when I am in a hurry. For being a 500 mhz processor, I expected no lagging, but it can be bad some times.

Like haus, I want a one handed phone. The TP2 is just too big too. I want something that doesn't take up a lot of room in my pocket (HTC phones are just too thick). Something that has good battery life (I can get 2 days of actually using my phone before it NEEDS to charge). Something with a tactile QWERTY board. The Intrepid fits the bill.

Plus, all it takes to unlock the GSM portion of the phone is your MSL and you can use it with US carrier SIM cards.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

goducks is just getting started

I'd give it 3 of 5 stars for what I need--about 75% business, 25% other. It works really well with my work PC's Outlook and our exchange server, as you would expect. Once I installed the home screen customizer, I customized it in an acceptable way for my use. The kinetic scrolling and the touchscreen makes getting through emails much easier, it's the best alternative I've seen to a scrollwheel. I use mine one-handed, like some of the other folks here.

Skyfire and/or Opera are decent browsers, but I don't spend much time browsing on this device and neither will you with a screen this small. An alternative music player program makes it a decent way to carry and listen to my tunes. The keyboard is decent. Battery life is champs, and as others said, it's thin enough to pocket. I can tell you the international aspect works fine--I notified Sprint I was heading to France for the New Year, and it activated on the Orange network with no problems at all. Better than my father-in-law's Verizon Blackberry did, that's for sure. And the wifi kept me from having to use international data.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Ace

Choclab is a n00b

I've been iffy on this phone as well. I'm coming from an Ace, which I generally like very much although of course it's old and underpowered now. I got a Moment for Christmas and returned it because I just didn't like the slider or really anything that much about it other than the great screen.

On paper, the Intrepid has everything I want: Win 6.5, bar form factor with full qwerty (this is a must, I've realized) plus touchscreen, 3.5 jack, great battery life. But when I used it at the store, it just seemed very blah compared to the other new phones, so I held off. For one, the screen seemed kind of unresponsive. But I played with an HTC Imagio at the Verizon store, and the screen was great even though it's resistive like the Intrepid. That makes me wonder if the one at the Sprint store was just worn out or something. I've read the the SBP Shell makes the touchscreen more responsive, so maybe that would help. But of course I can't try that at the store.

I dunno, I'm almost tempted to get it anyway because there's nothing out there I really love, and who knows if there will be anything with all these features out with the next wave of phones anyway. I might wait for months and then not like anything any better anyway.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I actually found that I didn't like SPB on the Intrepid. The screen is too small for all the crap that SPB adds to the screen real estate.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

itony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

thanks for the help keep it coming if there is anymore!

@jac - what about how much "quicker & smoother" it's suppose to make the phone? is the difference negligible, you did other things to it to make it better, or you just plain didn't like it and sacrificed speed for it?

also, what exactly is titanium notifications...what does it do? or even better if you could show a screenshot bc i searched but couldnt find anything that actually describes it
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Don't get me wrong...SPB was really pretty. I just found it too cumbersome. I found myself often times hitting the wrong icon, or accidentally tapping too long (which then edits the lay out and I would end up spending a long time trying to get the icon I had just dragged across the screen lined up just perfectly), plus I found myself having to do more navigation steps to get to the areas I wanted to be in. You can download the demo and use it for a while to see if you like it.

As for Titanium Notifications, it can be found on XDA. Here is the link
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=513431
Download the file in post #2. The QVGA specific version does not work on my Intrepid. I also attached the screen shot the author posted at XDA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01.jpg (62.4 KB, 27 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Here is a screen shot of my Intrepid. Titanium Notifications under the clock. It really saves time because it has everything in one panel, so I only have to have those 3 panels on my desktop.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

itony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regularitony is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ok cool
Is titanium an alternative for spb shell or could they be used together?...or is that retarded
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid